Enrichment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enrichment

I love MP, but I am already sad about moving on to 3rd grade. I tried to use FIAR with my daughter many times (it didn't work), but have finally found that the MP Primary Enrichment is just what we needed! I am so sad that it will all be over after this year! Does anyone have any suggestions? I know that we need to move on in school. It's just that so little of our time has been this enjoyable. How do I preserve this? Is there something in third grade that can be enjoyed like second grade enrichment (with art, music, crafts, vocabulary, history, science, etc. ???). This probably seems silly, but after so many homeschool fails, I am not happy to see this joyful win end. Can someone further down the track help? Advise?

Okay. So my child is telling me that she wants to do Enrichment again next year. I guess that we would have to do K or 1st. She is eight-years-old and already reading Dickins. Would it be rediculous for us to do a year of K or 1st grade Enrichment?

Comment

I don't think it would be ridiculous at all! The books, poems, and activities in MP Enrichment are beautiful and enjoyable by all ages. Don't you enjoy them yourself as an adult? In my house, my 3rd grader loves to listen in when I'm doing Enrichment with my kindergartener, and he will often ask to join us for the crafts. So go ahead and have fun with it! The only caveat would be making sure you don't extend your school day too much, as 3rd grade does include more work. But from our experience using the modified 3rd grade curriculum, I think it's quite possible. You'll just have to plan according to how much sitting/reading/writing time is profitable for your child. Our general plan is for my 3rd grader to do math, spelling, grammar, literature, and Latin in the morning. He usually finishes this by 11 or 11:30 and is then happy to listen in on Enrichment before outside play/lunch time. Once a week subjects go in the afternoon. Hope that helps!
      Amy

DS 12 MP7
      DD 10 MP5
      DS 8 MP3
      DD 5 MPK
      DS 3
      DS 3 months

Comment

I saw in another thread that you’re going to be using SC5/6. It has Enrichment built in: Creating Art, Music Appreciation, Geography (done orally), and Science (also done orally) plus there are read-alouds available (either the American history ones from SC3 or other selections — see the curriculum manual). My kids LOVED those American history read-alouds and they’re really looking forward to Creating Art and Music Appreciation.

You can certainly opt for the regular MP Enrichment, but I didn’t want you to feel like you had to reinvent the wheel. SC includes enrichment in every level.
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS17: MP, MPOA, HSC
        DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC
        DS14: MP, MPOA
        DS12: Finishing SC 4 >> Moving on to mix of SC 5/6 & 7/8
        DD10: Finishing 3A >> Moving on to miix of 5M and SC7/8
        DD8: SC3
        DD6: MPK

Comment

Thank you, ladies! All of that is helpful. I guess I will know more when my TM arrives and I can see what is already planned for a week. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica Louise View Post
            I love MP, but I am already sad about moving on to 3rd grade. I tried to use FIAR with my daughter many times (it didn't work), but have finally found that the MP Primary Enrichment is just what we needed! I am so sad that it will all be over after this year! Does anyone have any suggestions? I know that we need to move on in school. It's just that so little of our time has been this enjoyable. How do I preserve this? Is there something in third grade that can be enjoyed like second grade enrichment (with art, music, crafts, vocabulary, history, science, etc. ???). This probably seems silly, but after so many homeschool fails, I am not happy to see this joyful win end. Can someone further down the track help? Advise?
            We did quite a bit of FIAR in our early days, pre MP. I absolutely adored it, but I made most of our resources and spent hours looking online and brainstorming for how to supplement. That got to be less and less realistic as we added more children to our family and my time became more limited.

MP's Enrichment is exactly what I wanted FIAR to be without me doing all of the work.

It's just so lovely.
            Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2020-2021:
            10th grade DS: Mix of MP materials, MPOA, and local classes
            8th grade DD: 8M and 3rd Form with MPOA
            6th grade DD: Mostly 6M
            4th Grade DD: Mostly 4NU
            3.5 yo DS: Copious amounts of time outside beating on things with sticks; MP Preschool and Mom Extras 2-3 days a week

Comment

MamaHill You took the words right out of my mouth! You are exactly right!

Comment

Working...
              X