7th grader math questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7th grader math questions

My son has been in the public school for several years, but we are home this year and planning for all MP next year. This year he is doing Saxon 1/2 with a small, once a week class. We are doing ok-ish, but I think the spiral method is not the best for him. We are constantly having to refer back to previous lessons. Also, he is having a difficult time deciphering all the word problems into equations. And percents! I don't think his school covered that before covid. I am thinking of buying videotext for next year. Has anyone pulled a Saxon, word problem struggler over to Videotext? I would probably start him at the beginning even though we are technically covering pre-algebra this year. I may also grab a Rod and Staff 6 to shore up on percents as well. Thanks!!
    DS 8th grade
    DD 6th grade
    DD 4th grade
    DS 2nd grade
    *Starting HLS Anderson Cottage School

I don't have any experience with Saxon, Rod and Staff, or VideoText, but if you want an extra resource for percentage (or pre-algebra in general), I would check out the College of the Redwoods prealgebra textbook, the one MP recommends: it's simple as a quick fix because there is a free pdf version here, so you can see right away if it's what your son needs. We found the percentage section very well done, and as usual with that book, each step is explained carefully and clearly, leaving nothing out. This may give your son some good help on the side, as you two decide what's best for the future.
    DS (15)
    DD (14)
    DS (7)

Comment

Thank you for this resource!
      DS 8th grade
      DD 6th grade
      DD 4th grade
      DS 2nd grade
      *Starting HLS Anderson Cottage School

Comment

My daughter is in 7th grade and has been homeschooling for a year. She hated math and struggled with word problems until we switched to Math Mammoth. I think that MM does a great job of teaching kids who have trouble processing word problems. It was the first math curriculum that ever really made sense to her. We went back to MM6, figuring that it was better to be a year behind with a solid foundation than to be on track but shaky. MM has grade-level books and topical books, so you could try it out by using just the book on percent. The curriculum is inexpensive and easy to use. There are even free videos available on their website to introduce each topic.

Comment

Working...
        X