Success stories with Rod & Staff Math?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Success stories with Rod & Staff Math?

I have decided after much deliberation to transition my three younger children to Rod & Staff Math after using Math-U-See for years.

My 12 year old is finishing up the Epsilon level, my 8 year old twins the Alpha. We've enjoyed Math-U-See, but I'm concerned that in trying to master the individual levels, they are missing out on other concepts that other math curricula teach along with the functions of arithmetic.

Would anyone please share some success stories with Rod & Staff Math?
    (I did a search, but only came upon a thread of how Rod & Staff was not working...I already placed an order this morning and am trying to calm my easily suggestible imagination that I did not waste money...😨)

Thank you!
    Laura H.

DD: 15, special-needs: language processing issues (modified 7M/8M Core)
    DD: 12 (planning 8M Fall 2021)
    DD: 8 (planning 3M Fall 2021)

Hi Laura,
    My daughters are younger (oldest is 7/currently working through 1st grade core, middle is 5 and working through K, youngest is 4 and just hanging out/absorbing much of what she hears big sisters doing 😀). I switched to Rod & Staff after using Saxon 1 with my eldest daughter for her K year. She did well with Saxon, but the lessons took us longer than I thought was necessary or beneficial, with a good deal of prep work required by me. So, I decided to switch to R & S after researching reviews, and conferring with an experienced MP homeschool mom whose opinion I definitely trust. We are over halfway through 1st and K this year, and we are all so much happier with the R&S. It’s been so much quicker getting through the lessons - very “open-and-go” - and my eldest likes it SO much more than Saxon. I honestly think my kids like it because it IS so repetitive, and the lessons are very straightforward. I almost questioned that at first, however I am confident they’re actually mastering their math facts this time around — Saxon seemed to me to move a lot faster, however after a 4 week summer break my daughter forgot more than I expected. So I’m confident the repetition and mastery approach is going to be much more beneficial than the spiral approach with Saxon - at least thus far for my kiddos. I’ve been advised that “all will be well as long as those 4 basic functions of arithmetic are mastered (and I’m seeing much more mastery of content this time around), so I’m trusting that R&S with it’s uncomplicated lessons and straightforward/mastery approach is the breath of fresh air I (and my children) needed!
    I know this may not be helpful since your children are older and farther along, but I hope it gives you some reassurance to know that someone else changed things up and it was for the better!
    Best wishes,
    Megan K.

Comment

You sound like you'll be coming at the best time to R&S. Your children already have a great understanding of number concept from all the manipulatives in MUS, and you still have time to drill memory of the basic math facts. Both of my kids have thrived in the program, and my little guy is conceptually ahead of the grade level we're on but not is not complaining.
      Mama to 2

Summer:
      MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
      SY 20/21
      4A

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post
        You sound like you'll be coming at the best time to R&S. Your children already have a great understanding of number concept from all the manipulatives in MUS, and you still have time to drill memory of the basic math facts. Both of my kids have thrived in the program, and my little guy is conceptually ahead of the grade level we're on but not is not complaining.
        I'm so glad that your children are doing well with math with this program. We're keeping all our Math-U-See manipulatives so the kids can use those as they phase into Rod & Staff.

Thank you for this feedback.

Laura H.

Comment

On the K-8 Board there is a post pinned to the top called “Popular and Useful Threads” and you will find a good discussion about Rod and Staff there linked in that post.

we are only to 1st Grade but have really felt that Rod and Staff is giving our kids a solid foundation.
          Rebecca

Boy-1st
          Boy-Kindergarten
          Boy-4yo
          Girl-2yo

Comment

Originally posted by RHoffman View Post
            On the K-8 Board there is a post pinned to the top called “Popular and Useful Threads” and you will find a good discussion about Rod and Staff there linked in that post.
            Thank you, Rebecca. I haven't been on the Forum enough to have found all the "bells and whistles" yet. I will definitely find and peruse that thread.
            Laura H.

Comment

We have had all our kids in Rod and Staff. Our oldest went into it at 5th grade, and it was actually what drew me to MP. Since then, every single one of our kids - different personalities, different aptitudes, different “mathiness” - have all thrived with it. We are on our fourth child having entered into high school levels of math and they are all doing great.

hths!
              AMDG,
              Sarah
              2020-2021
              16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
              DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
              DS, 17
              DD, 15
              DD, 13
              DD, 11
              DD, 9
              DD, 7
              +DS+
              DS, 2

Comment

Both of my kids came up through R&S, one started in 1st grade and 1 started in 2nd grade. They are both doing well now in COTR Pre-Algebra. I had one very mathy student who accelerated through the levels (speed up, don't skip) and one who struggles with math who is in MPOA for Pre-Algebra because she and I do not see eye to eye with math. R&S gave her a solid foundation though and she is doing well in the course.
                ~Michelle

DD 12 (MP 7)
                DS 9 (Gap Year)
                DS 4 - Preschool
                DD 2 - Board Books and Chaos

Comment

No problem! I know the search can’t always get you what you are looking for. That pin has some great discussions! 😁
                  Rebecca

Boy-1st
                  Boy-Kindergarten
                  Boy-4yo
                  Girl-2yo

Comment

Sarah and Michelle,

Thank you for sharing your experiences (and helping me feel better about the choice to switch).

I've read through the thread that Rebecca mentioned and it certainly has some great ideas I will be using as we change.
                    My 12 year old is really excited; my twins are going to need some time for adjusting until the books arrive and they can see the format.

Thank you all again!
                    Laura H.

Comment

Working...
                    X