Re-doing Traditional Spelling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-doing Traditional Spelling

My 7yo boy is doing the 1st Grade Core this year. He does well on the spelling tests, almost always getting 100% but often misspells those words outside of that week’s work. I’m considering having him do TS1 again next year with his younger brother who will be taking it then. He can read all of the words well, he just doesn’t seem to retain which teams are for which word over time. He was writing something today as a caption for a picture and spelled words as “troo” and “Liak” and he doesn’t notice it (I didn’t point it out because it wasn’t the time and place for that correction.) What would you advise? Working more on the words over the summer as review (if so suggestions on how?) or potentially redoing the program for a second year til Mastery? Or another option I haven’t thought of?
    Rebecca

Boy-2nd
    Boy-1st
    Boy-4yo
    Girl-2yo

This issue is very common. The good news is your student does well with his weekly spelling tests. Many students will use words that have been in their past spelling lists when writing and spell those same words wrong. It is perplexing. But often those misspellings are more due to a lack of focus than from truly not knowing the correct spelling.

When you see a word spelled incorrectly, it does need to be corrected as quickly as possible. The goal would be immediately. Since student work should be checked and corrected as it is being done. Because if left till the next day, students will have long forgotten their thought process. Start with asking the student to read the word, then if they don’t recognize the mistake, walk them through the thought process for correct phonics. For example: if the word pray is spelled “pra” , you can say, “When there is only one vowel in a word it will be short, so how would this sound?” ”The word pray has that long a sound. How do we spell that long a sound at the end of a word?”

Have your student, or work with your student to correct all spelling in order to keep those visual imprints from becoming confused.

Comment

Okay, I will try to work on that. He is my slightly resistant academic so when he’s writing for fun outside of school time I struggle to want to correct him and discourage it.
      Rebecca

Boy-2nd
      Boy-1st
      Boy-4yo
      Girl-2yo

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't correct him outside of school. Schoolwork is fair game, captioning a squirrel drawing flying an airplane for fun...nope.
        DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
        DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
        DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
        Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
        Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

Agreeing with Colomama

If he's doing creative writing or labeling drawings every day, then maybe you would need to extend the corrections because of imprinting. But if it's a couple of times a week I wouldn't worry about it. Focus on the school corrections and they will eventually make its way to his creative work.

Also, be sure you're using the copywork method for his other school work. He gives the answer (you help him form it into a complete sentence if needed), then you write it down on his workbook page or a dry erase board. He then copies it into his guide. This models good grammar, spelling, and mechanics. Many students need this through 2nd or 3rd grade.
          Jennifer
          Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
          DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
          DS15: MP, MPOA
          DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
          DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
          DD10: SC3
          DD7: MPK

Comment

Thank you ladies, that was my instinct as well. It’s really only a couple of times a month that he writes creatively on something like that so I didn’t have the heart to correct him. School work is always corrected, but we currently do just as you mentioned, we talk through the answers for all of the lit guides and I write it on the whiteboard and he copies to his book. So he doesn’t spend much time spontaneous spelling yet besides his dictation and tests each week.
            Rebecca

Boy-2nd
            Boy-1st
            Boy-4yo
            Girl-2yo

Comment

I'm glad the other ladies jumped in to add the detail of corrected spelling being primarily for school work. You will know when and if you need to correct other writing! There is a fine balance between correcting and frustrating. You will know best where that line is.

Blessings,

Comment

I am going to jump in here just to draw attention to the super-fun fact that
                Colomama
                ​​​​
                added a photo...so lovely to see your smiling face! ??

Could not let it pass by (even though it may have been up for a while and I am just now getting caught up!)

AMDG,
                Sarah
                2020-2021
                16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                DS, 17
                DD, 15
                DD, 13
                DD, 11
                DD, 9
                DD, 7
                +DS+
                DS, 2

Comment

KF2000 ha! You caught me. I think I uploaded it a day ago. I needed a headshot for a podcast so I hired my SC student to take some pics. Best $5 I've spent all year.

And for those of you with no pics uploaded....it was sooo easy!
                  DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
                  DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
                  DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
                  Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
                  Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
                    KF2000 ha! You caught me. I think I uploaded it a day ago. I needed a headshot for a podcast so I hired my SC student to take some pics. Best $5 I've spent all year.

And for those of you with no pics uploaded....it was sooo easy!
                    Uploading a pic might be easy- getting said picture taken not so much. I had to do a head shot for the podcast too and had my teen take a bunch but they were all not flattering at all. I need a professional shoot I guess. Someday I might get a pic up. Even my fb profile is my daughter as a toddler.
                    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                    DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                    DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                    DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
                    (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
                    DS, 21, Physics and math major
                    DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
                    DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
                    DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Working...
                    X