Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grammar Recitation II & First Form Latin - start here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grammar Recitation II & First Form Latin - start here?

I have been reviewing Grammar Recitation I vs. Grammar Recitation II and Latina Prima, LC, and LFF.

For me, it appears my 3rd grader would be at the 5th grade MP Grammar level after completing Grade 3 Abeka (it's very heavy on rules, diagramming, etc).

Latina Prima looks like a good way to give children a taste of Latin, but when I look at the LC and LFF samples, I think I'd be better able to teach from LFF just looking at the explanations in the sample. Plus, now I have ascertained the grammar levels do correspond to the Latin levels.

My son isn't a struggling learner, and I hate for him to not advance in English Grammar during the 4th grade. Would it be crazy to have him do these 5th grade levels in these subject areas?

Hello.

Latina Christiana is a good fit for a 4th grader, and I don't think you will have any trouble teaching it. And the grammar levels don't really correspond directly to the Latin. Sometimes, we hit a concept first in English grammar and sometimes in Latin. The important thing is to recognize when a concept comes up that the student has seen it before so that you can make the connection between the English and the Latin. So if you want to do EGR II with your son (and I agree that he will have a good foundation from Abeka), that will be fine. I wouldn't worry too much about which level of English grammar you use in comparison with your Latin. It simply won't matter.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
      Hello.

Latina Christiana is a good fit for a 4th grader, and I don't think you will have any trouble teaching it. And the grammar levels don't really correspond directly to the Latin. Sometimes, we hit a concept first in English grammar and sometimes in Latin. The important thing is to recognize when a concept comes up that the student has seen it before so that you can make the connection between the English and the Latin. So if you want to do EGR II with your son (and I agree that he will have a good foundation from Abeka), that will be fine. I wouldn't worry too much about which level of English grammar you use in comparison with your Latin. It simply won't matter.

Tanya
      Hi Tanya, Thank you so much! I just want to make sure everything flows well together. I notice with Abeka, it works that way, but this is so helpful.

Comment

Working...
      X