EPS Primary Phonic Readers in MP1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EPS Primary Phonic Readers in MP1

I couldn't see based on the sample whether the Primary Phonics Readers 2-6 (an "optional" add-on to MP1) are scheduled in the First Grade Curriculum Guide. I loved having sets 1-3 in MPK, but they were scheduled regularly. Anyone with experience?
    Mama of 2, teacher of 3

SY 21/22
    5A w/ SFL & CC Narrative class
    MP1

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A
    SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

My guide is about a year and a half old and they are scheduled. It just says "optional (if needed) Primary Phonics Reader set x and gives the title in the set.
    Christine

(2022/2023)
    DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
    DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

Thanks. Does it seem to get to all of sets 4-6? It's $90 extra, so I want to make sure at least half of each set is read.
      Mama of 2, teacher of 3

SY 21/22
      5A w/ SFL & CC Narrative class
      MP1

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A
      SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

I see set 5 and 6 for sure. I feel like when my oldest did that "summer" FSR E lesson plan set 4 was scheduled there. I'm not seeing it in the 1st grade curriculum guide though.
        Christine

(2022/2023)
        DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)

Comment

Hopefully there will be a definite MP voice on this soon. I remember the latest thing being that these reader sets were completely optional at this point. They did used to be scheduled (I think I have the same plans as Christine) but now they are not. They were deemed to be a somewhat expensive item for what help they offered, and that help was then able to be covered in other ways once the rest of the first grade package came together.

AMDG,
          Sarah
          2020-2021
          16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
          DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
          DS, 17
          DD, 15
          DD, 13
          DD, 11
          DD, 9
          DD, 7
          +DS+
          DS, 2

Comment

They are scheduled as an optional extra on some Thursday and Fridays in the 1st grade CM. We don’t use them this year but have other readers on hand we do fill in with for extra practice usually outside of school time.
            Rebecca

Boy-2nd
            Boy-1st
            Boy-4yo
            Girl-2yo

Comment

Originally posted by RHoffman View Post
              They are scheduled as an optional extra on some Thursday and Fridays in the 1st grade CM. We don’t use them this year but have other readers on hand we do fill in with for extra practice usually outside of school time.
              I second what RHoffman said. They are scheduled in the 1st grade CM but they are listed as optional. They usually are on a Thursday or Friday so far but not every week (we are currently on week 19).
              21/22 - 4th MP Year, Dad & Quadrivium Teacher
              S - 8, 2nd MP @ HLN & Home
              D - 6, K MP @ HLN & Home
              S - 4, Jr K MP @ Home

Comment

Hello.

Sorry we didn't get to this sooner! The Primary Phonics Readers are scheduled as optional in the curriculum guide, and they are not necessary if you have a good reader. I would only recommend them for a struggling reader who is having trouble getting through the literature books or struggling with the spelling lessons. So I wouldn't purchase them if you don't need them. Maybe try first grade without them and only add them if you feel your student needs more practice in reading controlled readers. Our goal for first grade is to move students to real books, but sometimes, students aren't ready for that leap, and that is the purpose the primary readers serve.

Tanya

Comment

To add a little more information, the Primary Phonics Readers, levels 5 and 6 (pink and purple) are scheduled in the weekly lessons throughout the Curriculum Manual. They are listed for our families who purchased them previously and would like to know when it is best to use them. Sets 2,3,and 4 used to be regularly scheduled to provide additonal phonetic reading practice that is needed in K and 1st grade during the First Start Reading book D. Book D did not always have a story for every lesson as it does now. They were also scheduled prior to our discovery of the next 3 readers in the ALS series (At the Farm, On The Trail, Sounds of the Seas) which can provide more stories and at a cheaper price should phonetic reading practice still be needed. Like Tanya said, if your child is reading well, there is no need to purchase the Primary Phonics Readers, however, if they do require more phonetic reading practice, you have the option of using them and sets 5 and 6 are scheduled. You also have the option of using the ALS readers. Though these are not scheduled, just read a few stories a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
                    To add a little more information, the Primary Phonics Readers, levels 5 and 6 (pink and purple) are scheduled in the weekly lessons throughout the Curriculum Manual. They are listed for our families who purchased them previously and would like to know when it is best to use them. Sets 2,3,and 4 used to be regularly scheduled to provide additonal phonetic reading practice that is needed in K and 1st grade during the First Start Reading book D. Book D did not always have a story for every lesson as it does now. They were also scheduled prior to our discovery of the next 3 readers in the ALS series (At the Farm, On The Trail, Sounds of the Seas) which can provide more stories and at a cheaper price should phonetic reading practice still be needed. Like Tanya said, if your child is reading well, there is no need to purchase the Primary Phonics Readers, however, if they do require more phonetic reading practice, you have the option of using them and sets 5 and 6 are scheduled. You also have the option of using the ALS readers. Though these are not scheduled, just read a few stories a day.
                    We really like the additional 3 ALS readers (At the farm, etc). I would spend money on those, before buying the EPS readers. They are prefect for reading during the summer between K and 1st as well. (In order...At the Farm, On the Trail and Sounds of the Seas).
                    Christine

(2022/2023)
                    DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years

Comment

Working...
                    X