Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Behind

Hi everyone!

i started MP with my son 4 years ago when he was in K and was a very unsure homeschooler so I switched and went the Charlotte mason route. Fast forward to our current situation.. I have 4 children. Grades 3,2,K and 6 months. After a few years of my own reading and growing in my knowledge of classical education I realize what a mistake I’ve made. My children do a hodgepodge of curriculum and I believe are behind in spelling and math. I’m looking for any advice on what to do to get them ready for next year when I go all in with MP and do 4th grade, 3rd grade and 1st grade. What can I do right now to get them on track? Thank you so much in advance!

If it can console you, there are so many families who've walked your same path! If you want to read some stories, you could do a search in the forum for "Charlotte Mason" and see what comes up. But take heart, because it's been done before by others, so you can, too!
    One starting point for you to assess where your kids are could be the Scope and Sequence for the Core Curricula (I hope I am linking to the latest version of it): it explains what each grade works on in each subject, including a list of the books used, so you can get an idea of what a student should be able to do by the end of each grade. So if you have what you consider a 3rd grader, look at the scope and sequence for Second Grade, and see if your own child has mastered all that MP meant to cover before moving on to Third. You sort of work your way backwards to discover gaps and things that were addressed but not yet mastered.
    Keep in mind, though, that not many families keep to the letter of the Scope and Sequence - most people end up customizing things, moving the parts around a bit, according to their children's abilities and needs. For basic subjects like math and spelling, though, the S&S should give you a pretty good idea of where your children should be, in absence of special needs or other influencing factors. Even so, the beginnings can be uneven and different children even within the same family may well be going at different paces.
    But all caveats aside, I think the S&S is a wonderful tool, like a map that can help you understand where you are and where you should go next.
    DS (16)
    DD (15)
    DS (7)

Comment

Here is a recent thread that comes to mind that may be of help, Megmere6.

https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...our-mp-journey
      21/22 - 4th MP Year, Dad & Quadrivium Teacher
      S - 8, 2nd MP @ HLN & Home
      D - 6, K MP @ HLN & Home
      S - 4, Jr K MP @ Home

Comment

Welcome to MP! So many of us have made a similar jump from CM to MP. You will find some similarities to Charlotte Mason in that reading aloud a great book on the couch with your family at the end of the day is still an incredible part of the curriculum up through sixth grade.

For the rising first grader, definitely look at FSR A-D, Phonics Flashcards and Classical Phonics. Accelerate where needed (A & B can handle a few lessons per day if your child is already blending CVC words), but don't skip the writing. There is still plenty of time to prepare a rising student for a successful year in MP1 by finishing Book D. Then, read all summer, both you to him and him to you for at least 5-10 min per day. Nothing else is critical. MP1 starts with a nice math review, so slow down if you need it in the fall, and stay on pace if you don't.

You will have to figure out if your 3rd and 4th grader should be taught separately or together. The normal pace of 4th is to complete the second half of the material studied in 3rd, so you can't start there. If your rising 4th grader is an accelerated reader and strong in math facts, look to the 4th for new users. If he struggles with multiplication and division facts, the 3rd grade accelerated path includes 3rd grade math to cement those facts and goes through the 3rd and 4th grade subjects at a one-year pace. If that sounds exhausting and any of your kids are young for grade, just do both of them in 3M, which breaks the same subjects up into two years. If paired together, let the stronger reader help out with oral passages, and start by answering questions orally in complete sentences, picking 2-3 to copy after you've written down the answer using good punctuation and grammar. Ease into the full workload as writing stamina increases.
        Mama of 2, teacher of 3

SY 21/22
        5A w/ SFL & CC Narrative class
        MP1

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A
        SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Working...
        X