Reading in STT with more than one student

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading in STT with more than one student

When teaching two students together, how do you approach the reading for SST? Should I have each child read the whole story to me, one at a time? Or should I have them read alternate pages? Or some other alternative I haven’t thought of? We’re about to start our first book tomorrow and I just realized I’m not quite sure what I’m doing.
    2021-2022
    DS1 (7) - MP2
    DD (6) - MP1
    DS2 (3) - SCA
    +6 little souls in Heaven+

When I taught MP2 at a small co-op, I would have each child take a turn reading a page. I would take a turn, too, so I could model inflection and expression. We just kept taking turns until the day’s reading was done.

My one caveat here would be if one child struggles more than the other. In that case, I work with each child separately even though they’re taking the same course. I’ve had to do that with my two older children and my two middle ones. The struggling child’s loss of confidence just wasn’t worth the time (not even) saved by combining.
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
    DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
    DS15: MP, MPOA
    DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
    DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
    DD10: SC3
    DD7: MPK

Comment

Thanks! That sounds like a good plan. Right now my older two are reading pretty much at the same level, but I’ll keep an eye out for one pulling ahead. I definitely don’t want a situation of unhealthy competition and demoralization.
      2021-2022
      DS1 (7) - MP2
      DD (6) - MP1
      DS2 (3) - SCA
      +6 little souls in Heaven+

Comment

Jennifer gave you excellent advice! I would add that since we suggest reading selections more than once, have your children read aloud the pages their sibling read the previous day. By the third reading it won't matter which pages they read aloud as any will provide practice in adding expression to their reading. Should they not need that third reading to be oral, on the second reading be sure they are improving in speed, fluency, and expression.

Comment

Working...
        X