Multiplication woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiplication woes

Hello! We are struggling a little bit with triple digit multiplication. My daughter likely has ADHD (she did a neurological test at 6 years old and this is what they concluded). She is wicked fast in conversions (pints, cups, etc). She's so fast I have to have the teacher's manual handy to know if she is correct. She is also this good at fractions (which puzzles me because I am not so good at those! LOL). Again, I have to have the teacher's manual handy to make sure she is right. I do stop her every once in awhile and ask her to tell me how she got the answer to make sure she is doing the process correctly. She can do 100 math facts in all 4 operations in 4 minutes (we are working on 3), so I know it's not a problem there. However, when it comes to the triple digit multiplication she gets more wrong than right. There are so many steps that she can never find where she calculated wrong. She does always "check by switching the factors"..but gets beyond frustrated when her answers don't match. Sometimes they don't match because she did something wrong in BOTH problems. Any tips for helping her? A larger graph white board helps some. Me sitting there, "catching" her when she calculates wrong also helps. Is sitting with her "catching" the mistakes as she makes them beneficial? I don't mind doing it, I'm, of course, worried that it will be a crutch for too long. Is there another, better approach?
    Christine

(2021/2022)
    DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
    DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
    DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

You lost me at triple digit multiplication and switching factors. So, I get that you're talking about multi-step multiplication, yes? So, like multiple digits on top and bottom (250x62)?

​​​​so, she's getting confused about multiplying and then adding any carryover numbers before writing her answer below?

We did a stint with math-u-see and they have a very interesting approach to this. I'm probably going to slaughter this explanation, so if you're lost in the tall grass, see if youtube has a video.

Let's take that above math problem, 250x 62. All of your answers, including carryover are written below. No carryovers are written in the actual equation. Then, everything below the line is added. Separating out multiplication from addition really helped my son. Sometimes he couldn't remember whether this carryover had already been added when they were written above the '250'.

Okay, I'm slaughtering this. I'm attaching a picture with the traditional way and the math-u-see way.
    Attached Files
    DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
    DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
    DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
      You lost me at triple digit multiplication and switching factors. So, I get that you're talking about multi-step multiplication, yes? So, like multiple digits on top and bottom (250x62)?

​​​​so, she's getting confused about multiplying and then adding any carryover numbers before writing her answer below?

We did a stint with math-u-see and they have a very interesting approach to this. I'm probably going to slaughter this explanation, so if you're lost in the tall grass, see if youtube has a video.

Let's take that above math problem, 250x 62. All of your answers, including carryover are written below. No carryovers are written in the actual equation. Then, everything below the line is added. Separating out multiplication from addition really helped my son. Sometimes he couldn't remember whether this carryover had already been added when they were written above the '250'.

Okay, I'm slaughtering this. I'm attaching a picture with the traditional way and the math-u-see way.
      HMM..interesting on the math u see! It's odd. She can do 236x46 and says "that's easy"...but as soon as it's 236x456 she gets more wrong than right. In R&S they typically tell you to check your answer by switching the factors. So the problem is 236x456, you "check it" by doing 456x236.
      Christine

(2021/2022)
      DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
      DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
      DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

Colomama

Mind blown. Must steal this! (I cannot believe I owned that whole program and never watched it before reselling it for a tragic loss!)
        Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
        Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
        SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Working...
        X