Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I need to continue my Rod and Staff when I do First Form?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need to continue my Rod and Staff when I do First Form?

If I am doing LCC with First Form, do I have to to continue with regular English as well?

Hello.

I would recommend that you continue with some English grammar study along with your Latin curriculum. I have found that students don't necessarily make the connection between Latin grammar and English grammar and that I have had to make that connection for them. This is easily done with an English grammar course in the grammar school grades. After that, I would just concentrate on writing for the middle school/high school years and require perfect punctuation, sentence formation, etc. in all subjects.

Also, I don't know that I would spend a lot of time on English grammar, just enough to make sure a student can, for example, recognize a direct object in English while also knowing to put it in the accusative case in Latin.

I have taught from Rod & Staff grammar and it is a very good, comprehensive grammar program. But if you want something less time-consuming that will meet the same need, I like Jessie Wise's First Language Lessons.

I hope I have answered your question, but if you need further help, I'll be glad to help you.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Thank you!

I received the first two units yesterday--thank you so much! We will get going on Monday and I can't wait.

I believe we will continue with R&S, but in a slower way. It is so thorough I believe it won't hurt to spread it out over two years for each level starting with level 3.

I love that First Form has diagramming. I believe it will be a wonderful year of Latin!

Comment

Working...
      X