National Latin Exam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National Latin Exam

What level of Latin should a student complete before attempting the Intro level exam?

I could not decide if LCI would provide enough background before attempting this test.

Thank you

Diana

Nle

dianealsw,

Although you could use other test taking tricks like elimination and so forth to successfully do the intro exam, the intro exams assumes knowledge of all five declensions and the first two conjugations, as well as a some Roman history, geography, and cultural knowledge. So you could probably get a 30/40 with LCI, but I'd wait at least 1/2 a year more, or take it this coming spring if your doing a Latin program this year.
    thanks!
    Glen Moore
    [url]www.[B]M[/url][/B]emoria[B]P[/B]ress.com/course

Comment

thank you

We will be using LCI this year. It sounds like it might be better to wait another school year and try in during LCII to as to avoid frustration.

Thank you very much!

Diana

Comment

I don't want to further complicate your decisions, but you should look at doing our new Latin curriculum - First Form Latin - rather than LCII. It has a more comprehensive review of LCI and is perfect for the age of your daughter. So if you do LCI this year and First Form the next, she would be well-prepared to take the NLE by spring of that year.

Just a thought!

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

There are also some sample questions online at the National Latin Exam website. Last year we were using LCI and I looked at some of the sample questions and knew right away we weren't ready for that! We're beginning First Form Latin this fall and we hope to try the NLE this year. We're also doing Famous Men of Rome so we'll be able to answer the history/geography questions too. Hopefully!

Comment

Good point! Also, a good knowledge of Greek mythology is a big help. Putting Roman history with Greek mythology and First Form would really have you set for the intro. level. And definitely download the exams from previous years to practice. This is a huge help to students because it familiarizes them with the format and teaches them how to analyze the questions to find the best answer - even if they don't know it, they can make a better-educated guess.

Tanya

Comment

Working...
            X