Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Core Skills Language

Hello,

Can someone please elaborate what is in Core Skills Language? If I am correct, the children learn English through Latin. So if that is the case, why Core Skills Language? Also, why CSL instead of another English program? I would prefer to use a different English program (Seton) but do not want to over burden my child with that and Latin. Some insight would be helpful.

Thank you.

Hello.

We use Core Skills Language as a supplement only. Our main grammar program is Latin, so you are right about that. And we use our English Grammar Recitation program to complement the Latin. It has students memorize grammar rules with a little practice, but the majority of our practice and application is through Latin in the young years. Core Skills Language Arts is a supplement we added because some people wanted more English grammar and this was our answer. Some of our teachers use it, and others don't. I consider it to be totally optional.

I will say though that if you want to use Seton (and I don't know how detailed that program is), I would scale it back and not try to do everything. When I was teaching, we were doing one hour of Latin and one hour of English grammar (using R&S) every day, and it was just too much. We didn't need an hour a day of English grammar. So it's fine to add Seton in; just limit what you do. Maybe do a good bit of it orally, don't do all the exercises, etc. You will be able to see what you need in the same way that I saw my students grasped grammar much easier with Latin and the R&S grammar we did was a lot of overkill. We decided that the time saved was better used in writing.

Tanya

Comment

I have allowed many of these sheets to be completed orally. I don't see much value in my student completely rewriting the sentence when she can orally tell me the new sentence, write only the word that needs replacing, or underline and circle the new parts of speech. Still, because of how affordable it is, it's completely worth it for the extra practice of identifying or applying a rule learned in EGR. Finally, we have to submit standardized test results every year to homeschool, and the concepts from CSL are not only grade appropriate, they also appear on state testing.
      Mama to 2

Summer:
      MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
      SY 20/21
      4A

Comment

Seton has a very good, very thorough English curriculum that would be able to accomplish what English work the kids need. It would take the place of the MP English Grammar Recitation and the Core Skills books. It would not over burden your child to do that as long as you follow Tanya’s advice and the MP pedagogy that Latin is primary, the English courses are secondary. Still extremely valuable, but secondary to Latin, so that is where you want to spend the most time and energy.

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 17
        DD, 15
        DD, 13
        DD, 11
        DD, 9
        DD, 7
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
          Seton has a very good, very thorough English curriculum that would be able to accomplish what English work the kids need. It would take the place of the MP English Grammar Recitation and the Core Skills books. It would not over burden your child to do that as long as you follow Tanya’s advice and the MP pedagogy that Latin is primary, the English courses are secondary. Still extremely valuable, but secondary to Latin, so that is where you want to spend the most time and energy.

AMDG,
          Sarah

I agree, this has been our experience with Seton English, when we used it. It is also very independent friendly.
          Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2019-2020/-2021 · Homeschooling since 2011.
          Trekking along at a student self-pace...
          DD Summer 2009 · 5th/6th + BS3&4
          DD Summer 2011 · SC4/SC5*6 + BS3&4
          DS Summer 2014 · K/SC2 + SL P + K
          DD Summer 2017 · Pre + SL T
          DS Autumn 2019 • Baby

Memoria Scholé Academy
          Blog: Creative Madness Mama
          @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

I tell the kids to not write out the sentences, and where we can, draw a line or circle. These are done pretty fast here as a quick supplement so they can get through 4 pages fast. The curriculum has a lot of writing, and this isn't where i worry about it.
            Melissa

DS (MP4M) - 10
            DS (MP3A) - 8
            DS (1) - 7
            DD (Adorable distraction) 4

Comment

Working...
            X