Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's celebrate the New Year with a broken arm!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's celebrate the New Year with a broken arm!

Yep. That's how we roll. My daughter (4th grade) broke both the bones in her forearm down near her wrist. The bones have been set and casted. No surgery needed, so far. Whew. She's casted from tip of fingers to her armpit. Her thumb cannot touch her first finger or even rotate that direction. She will be casted for 10 weeks mimimum. Holding a pencil is impossible. I know I'm not the only mama to go through this, so why re-invent the wheel?

Looking for suggestions on writing accomodations. Would getting those fat pre-school pencils work? A special pencil grip you have found works? Give me your best tips and tricks, mamas.
    DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
    DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
    DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

I'm so sorry this happened to your daughter, but I have to admit your post made me laugh. I love your sense of humor in the middle of craziness! I don't have any advice to offer but you'll all be in our prayers
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
    DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
    DS15: MP, MPOA
    DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
    DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
    DD10: SC3
    DD7: MPK

Comment

We had a broken dominant arm in 2nd grade. The casting sounds similar. I didn’t try for her to do much writing. It was frustrating for her and a lot of effort without much reward. We did things orally or she dictated to me. Is typing an option? Or voice to text?

One thing to consider is the length of time to regain muscle strength after the cast is removed. Our orthopedic doctor said to allow 3-6 months for full mobility and strength and she only had a cast for 6 weeks. After the cast came off, we slowly added writing for a subject back in slowly over a few months.

I hope her recovery goes smoothly and pain free!
      Heidi

For 2021-22
      dd- 6th
      ds- 3rd
      dd- 1st
      ds- adding smiles and distractions

Comment

Well, I think breaking your arm on a ninja warrior course is a little bit dramatic to get out of cursive and copywork, you know? Ha!

I don't mind scribing for most things, but I know she will want some independence after awhile. Realistically, this is going to impact her entire second semester.
        DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.

We've completed:
        Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade

Comment

Goodness...new year, new plans indeed! Did you have that thought go through your mind...”two seconds ago it wasn’t broken!” That is what kept going through my mind when our third child broke her leg. She was four and was crashed into by a renegade brother careening down the driveway. I was standing right next to her. All in an instant - so hard to fathom! She had a complete break of her tibia that if it had happened in an adult, would have meant a full year and half of recovery. For someone so young, six weeks in a boot and then rehab. Kids are amazing.

I am so sorry to hear this has happened. It is the sort of thing that makes me cringe to think of all the adjustments you will have to make. Hang in there! I agree with the suggestion to ride it out without trying to have her finagle a way to write. Yes, the semester may end up being a wash, but then you can rehab over the summer and hopefully be ready to go for the fall. We make adjustments too - sometimes a great deal more than I would like. For instance, I am trying desperately to muster up the nerve I need to hit the books again on Monday after our six week hiatus because of moving. There was no way around it - had to pack the house! But man, it’s gonna be rough.

You will figure this out, and it will eventually be such a small portion of her education. Hugs and prayers!!!

AMDG,
          Sarah
          2020-2021
          16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
          DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
          DS, 17
          DD, 15
          DD, 13
          DD, 11
          DD, 9
          DD, 7
          +DS+
          DS, 2

Comment

I am so sorry! That sounds so unpleasant. I hope that you get some great advise.

Comment

Prayers for a speedy recovery! Sometimes it's more the death of the vision than the real physical toll that gets us down. Suffering and setbacks are an incredible time of character building. What a story to tell!
              Mama of 2, teacher of 3
              SY 22/23
              6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim w/ Elementary Greek Year One
              MP2

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
              SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math)

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post
                Sometimes it's more the death of the vision than the real physical toll that gets us down.
                One of the best lines I've heard in a while. So true!

Colomama - praying for you girl for a complete recovery and a solid semester with modifications you can both be happy with. ?
                Festina lentē,
                Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
                DS Hillsdale College freshman
                DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
                DD 8th • HLN & Home
                DS 5th • HLN & Home
                Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
                Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

You ladies are great, thank you for the encouragement.

The good news is her timing was good. I have been feeling pretty down about writing. She does lots of self-directed creative writing and honestly that has just kind of allowed me to let true academic writing slide this year. I had resolved to do better second semester. I have been waiting for a sale to start next week on an online writing class. Well, me-thinks I'll just save that $100 now (or shall we say....reinvest it elsewhere, like at an ortho office).

My mom and I are busily designing and sewing cute cast covers, think sparkles and unicorns.

We've completed:

Comment

Not a lot of help as my son has only done his left arm (three years in a row... yup, three) - and he has dysgraphia anyway. You might want to look into some of those work-arounds if she really wants to write.

Also, warn her about rehab, like Heidi said. Rehab was awful for my son... He had counted down to get his cast off, then to find his arm wasn't all better was a killer for him (fortunately he loved his physio.)

I lost use of my right arm for about five months with a shoulder injury. I taught myself to write with my left hand (which I can no longer do). Maybe if she really wants to write, she will manage that feat.

Take care.. I think these things are worse for mothers than for the kids.

Natalie

Comment

Working...
                    X