MP literature philosophy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MP literature philosophy?

Is there an article, video, talk or such that discusses MP's literature philosophy? I'm thinking something along the lines of
    tanya
    MP Representative
    tanya 's "why we don't teach history chronologically".

I wanted something I can point people toward, when they ask me why my children are only reading 4 novels a year. I feel like there's been something in the Classical Teacher, but I can't find it.
    Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
    DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
    DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
    DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
    DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
    DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

I also point people toward the American History novels and readers and read-aloud books in the guide. When students read the guided literature novels, which are a little bit below their reading level so that they can apply deep-reading techniques, then read the American History books, which are at students' reading level, and then combine that with the read-alouds, which are slightly above the students' reading level (and are modeled good reading, discussion of new vocabulary and advanced prose by an older reader or parent), it is a powerhouse year for any student. Most of the plans that include 20+ books do a cursory read, and MP isn't much different in volume and variety of content if you add up all of the literature students are exposed to.

Here's an example:

In MP3 (3rd grade), students deeply read 4 novels with a literature guide and 16 American History readers and are read 11 novels or anthologies and 21 text-heavy picture books. That adds up to 52 books! That is an incredible amount of reading and literature.

As novels get longer, this number shrinks, but the page count stays nearly as high. MP4 has 4 novels with literature guides, 4 picture books, 11 read-aloud novels and 10 American history readers.
    Mama of 2, teacher of 3

SY 21/22
    5A w/ SFL & CC Narrative class
    MP1

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A
    SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

https://www.memoriapress.com/article...-study-guides/

This article by Leigh is the best argument for how we teach literature, in my opinion.

On vacation this week, but had to share. It's hard for me to walk away from you guys! Don't tell my office!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
        https://www.memoriapress.com/article...-study-guides/

This article by Leigh is the best argument for how we teach literature, in my opinion.

On vacation this week, but had to share. It's hard for me to walk away from you guys! Don't tell my office!

Tanya
        THANK YOU ---- You knew exactly what I was searching for.
        Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
        DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
        DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
        DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
        DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
        DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
          Is there an article, video, talk or such that discusses MP's literature philosophy? I'm thinking something along the lines of
          tanya
          MP Representative
          tanya 's "why we don't teach history chronologically".

I wanted something I can point people toward, when they ask me why my children are only reading 4 novels a year. I feel like there's been something in the Classical Teacher, but I can't find it.
          Not an article, but an observation: my kids have time to read for leisure, fun, and pleasure because I'm only asking them read a small handful of things for school. I keep a folder full of booklists to make library reservations and give as gift tips to family. Studying fewer books for school has amounted to some sort of magic sauce for encouraging reading generally in our home. ❤️ The best mental image I have for this may be the dessert cart at a very, very nice restaurant.
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
          DS 12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
          DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
          DD 7th • HLN & Home
          DS 4th • HLN & Home
          Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; Memoria College

Teaching TFL and co-directing @
          Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Working...
          X