Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• momgineer
    replied
    Just chiming in in Kindles. I *MUCH* prefer the e-ink (such as basic Kindle, Paperwhite, and a oasis) over back lit tablets like Fire. It feels almost exactly like reading on paper, but it has a built in light (front lit like natural, not backlit like tablets), and you can adjust the font to different size and styles. It doesn’t easily access the internet so much less worry about doing anything other than reading. It has a very long battery life. I read a couple hours a day sometimes and charge about once a week. What I don’t know much about is how it loads free books from outside sites. I do almost exclusively Kindle unlimited or books from our library’s digital selections. E-inks also are not good for picture books. They are great for chapter books though. I’ve read books on I-pads and Fire’s and the eye strain (even on the “gentle” setting) is much worse than on e-ink devices. I really do feel like e-ink is like reading on paper. However, if you have a child who prefers reading on colored paper- you may find the Fire’s ability to change the background color overrides the negative of being backlit. I think maybe the higher end, newer e-ink Kindles have the option of making the background various shades of tan so that might be worth looking into.

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied
    Originally posted by bean View Post

This is the one I have: Amazon.com: Kindle Paperwhite – Now Waterproof with 2x the Storage – Ad-Supported: Kindle Store

Yes, you can read at the pool and outside. I tend to read when my household is asleep, so the Paperwhite is much easier on my eyes than squinting with a book light on.

ooh..that might be a win in itself! Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• bean
    replied
    Originally posted by howiecram View Post

Sorry to hijack thread....tell me more about the paper white. We have 3 fires already and 2 iPads (5 people in the house). I don't particularly like reading books on any of them. The paper white edition, could you bring it to say, a pool and be able to see it well. Does it really "feel" like a real book?
    This is the one I have: Amazon.com: Kindle Paperwhite – Now Waterproof with 2x the Storage – Ad-Supported: Kindle Store

I read books in all kinds of ways... physical, Fire, computer, and phone. I say I read them all that way, but I tend to finish books on my Paperwhite most often, physical books second most often, and everything else is only if I'm in a series and I can't move on without finishing it or I just can't find it another way.

Yes, you can read at the pool and outside. I tend to read when my household is asleep, so the Paperwhite is much easier on my eyes than squinting with a book light on.

My only complaint is that I can't always find what I want in Kindle format. Everything in Gutenberg can be brought over through the "experimental browser", and my libraries have many titles, but some things just don't exist in .mobi or are more than I'm willing to pay for a book that I will only read once. I'm stalled in the Brother Cadfael mysteries for this reason. I guess there is a way to convert if you are techie, but I haven't had the time to give it a try yet (and I'm pretty techie).

Leave a comment:

• bean
    replied
    Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
    If you go the digital route, be 100% sure (and then check again) that she can’t access anything other than the book she’s reading: online bookstore, apps, internet, online libraries and their catalogs, app stores, etc. I even know someone whose child ended up in trouble with the maps app. It’s a different world than we grew up in.
    Yes- this is do-able. I just took the restrictions off our iPad for dd who is 15 (because she's reached the point where she puts her own restrictions on to help her manage her time). Kindle Fire takes a little more perseverance, but it can be done.

Leave a comment:

• jen1134
    replied
    If you go the digital route, be 100% sure (and then check again) that she can’t access anything other than the book she’s reading: online bookstore, apps, internet, online libraries and their catalogs, app stores, etc. I even know someone whose child ended up in trouble with the maps app. It’s a different world than we grew up in.

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied
    Originally posted by bean View Post
    Kindle Fire is on sale for $40 today (although I bought a refurbished one for $40 six weeks ago because mine died.) I use my fire for audio books and Great Courses mostly. Amazon did send me a link for a free trial to Kindle Unlimited. I haven't found as much there as I thought, but it is nice to have access for three months to check it out.

I prefer to read on my Paperwhite, which there does appear to be a Black Friday special for a $59 version. There are some books that won't work on it, though (like the OpenLibrary ones).

Also, if you have a relative with access to a larger library system, especially if they are not the type who would use eBooks, ask if you can use their credentials. Checking out books from OverDrive doesn't cost the library any more because most books are purchased for 24 months, regardless of how many times it's checked out, so it's not like you are "stealing". Libraries want people to use their materials.
    Sorry to hijack thread....tell me more about the paper white. We have 3 fires already and 2 iPads (5 people in the house). I don't particularly like reading books on any of them. The paper white edition, could you bring it to say, a pool and be able to see it well. Does it really "feel" like a real book?

Leave a comment:

• bean
    replied
    Kindle Fire is on sale for $40 today (although I bought a refurbished one for $40 six weeks ago because mine died.) I use my fire for audio books and Great Courses mostly. Amazon did send me a link for a free trial to Kindle Unlimited. I haven't found as much there as I thought, but it is nice to have access for three months to check it out.

I prefer to read on my Paperwhite, which there does appear to be a Black Friday special for a $59 version. There are some books that won't work on it, though (like the OpenLibrary ones).

Also, if you have a relative with access to a larger library system, especially if they are not the type who would use eBooks, ask if you can use their credentials. Checking out books from OverDrive doesn't cost the library any more because most books are purchased for 24 months, regardless of how many times it's checked out, so it's not like you are "stealing". Libraries want people to use their materials.

Leave a comment:

• bean
    replied
    I got flagged. Here is my post with fewer links:

Don't buy Robison Curriculum.

Most of what is in it can be put on your eReader for free at Project Gutenberg

Internet Archive has many more modern titles you can check out: I use a kindle fire and set it to show one page at a time. The K-12 page: Student Library | Open Library

Between those two resources, you should be able to find a lot books from most any reading list. You need to create an account at Open Library.

Even a really sub-par library might have access to OverDrive through a consortium. It would be worth seeing what your library's digital options are.

There are at least two copies of Ordinary Princess at Open Library.

Open Library has Daisy Access for print disabilities and most Gutenberg titles are also on Librovox.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• bean
    replied
    Don't buy Robison Curriculum.

Most of what is in it can be put on your eReader for free: Free eBooks | Project Gutenberg

Internet Archive has many more modern titles you can check out: Welcome to Open Library | Open Library I use a kindle fire and set it to show one page at a time. The K-12 page: Student Library | Open Library

Between those two resources, you should be able to find a lot books from most any reading list. You need to create an account at Open Library.

Even a really sub-par library might have access to OverDrive through a consortium. It would be worth seeing what your libraries digital options are.

There are at least two copies of Ordinary Princess at Open Library:The ordinary princess (1984 edition) | Open Library

Open Library has Daisy Access for print disabilities and most Gutenberg titles are also on Librovox. LibriVox

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Jessica Louise
    replied
    I was trying to type this post with people talking to me. Let me clarify: I am trying to simplify MY life by having materials available for my daughter. I like that RC eventually covers SAT vocabulary; yes, I think that that is a neat benefit (because the simple methodology would work well for us). My daughter only spends about an hour a day reading...I don't think that that is outlandish, especially if you knew how hard she worked to be able to read. She is excited about it. Furthermore, as we are quarantined until who knows when, to protect my health, this is a very good time to get this in order. When we can join social events again, I don't want to be fussing over things that I could have settled while I was avoiding covid-19. I just wanted to decide which direction to go and get things in order while I as stuck at home.

Leave a comment:

• Colomama
    replied
    Wait wait, you're covering SAT vocabulary in second grade? Or at a minimum, you're using that as a primary objective for selecting free reading material?

​​​​I'm all about encouraging reading, but if your child is reading through several books a week that are over a hundred pages long...maybe it's time to encourage an interest in some other activities?

Leave a comment:

• Jessica Louise
    started a topic Which Library Should I Buy?

Which Library Should I Buy?

My daughter is in MP second grade, but her reading is several grades higher. We live in a small town very far from the city. Our local library keeps few classics, and many of the books that they purchase I would NOT want my daughter to read. ILL through our library cost as much as many books on thriftbooks.com. The bottom line is that I have not found a decent source of free books for my child.
    As my daughter's reading has taken off I have blown my budget on books. I have to hop online three or four times a week to purchase more books. I am glad that we bought books she loved, and that she is now an avid reader, but it is time for a better plan. We need a cheaper, simpler method for keeping my daughter in books.
    As I consider my options, I am thinking of both reinforcing her vocabulary (SAT) and providing her with plenty of material that I do not have to worry about (preread). I am torn between continuing with John Senior's list of Good Books, and switching to the Robbinson Curriculum list of books. The book quality is probably better, although also more narrowly literature, with Senior's list. Robbinson's includes original source documents and historical books, but more importantly (because we can always add an original source text), Robbinson Curriculum has vocabulary flash cards for every book, that can be printed off, that cover SAT vocab. Vocab is something that I need to review with my daughter. Due to complications with dyslexia, reviewing vocabulary will make a TREMENDOUS difference. Also, being able to print the RC books on tan or blue paper will also make it easier to read. In addition to this, I can print the books to fill 8.5''x11'' paper, essentially doubling the size of texts that are often small. My daughter has a couple of eye issues, on top of dyslexia, so the large print could be a real win!
    I would rather use Senior's list, but the RC list seems more practical for the issues that we are facing. If we started printing and using RC books, I would continue to read aloud every night from Senior's list, and my daughter has Audible, so that she can listen to excellent readings of unabridged classics.
    Does anyone have any advise? I would really like to "fix it and forget it". I would like to have the books on hand, and only have to shop for books that are specifically for her pleasure. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read and respond to this long post!
Working...
X