Princess Fantasy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Princess Fantasy

I am looking for a fantasy series for my daughter. I realize that the writing in a series is often not great, but I'm still looking. She would LOVE it if the protagonist if female. She really enjoyed the Tuesdays at the Castle (Castle Glower) series. We have many of the Colour Fairy Books, but there are stories sprinkled throughout those that are too graphic for her to read alone. Does anyone have any suggestions?

My older kids (boys and girl) read and loved the Wings of Fire series. The characters are dragons and most of them are female. From what I did read, I think the writing was pretty...basic. But the kids were very invested in the characters and story lines and spent hours retelling them to me. Other recent favorite series for my 10 year old daughter: Emily Windsnap, Green Emerald, Half Magic, Dinotopia. (Some of this is "fluff". I'm not necessarily recommending the quality of all of it.)
    Amy

DS 13 MP8
    DD 11 MP6
    DS 9 MP4
    DD 6 MP1
    DS 4 R&S Pre-k books
    DS 1

Comment

What about the Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia Wrede. The protagonists are female and the story is interesting. I remember really liking them when I was around 10/11.

Comment

Originally posted by smithamykat View Post
        My older kids (boys and girl) read and loved the Wings of Fire series.
        My boys were enthralled with Wings of Fire for well over a year, but then we found out that the later books involve an LGBTQ character.
        Has she read Narnia? One of my boys was devouring Tolkien at 9, and from what you've posted before, it sounds like your daughter would be fine with Lewis at 7.

The Wingfeather Saga would be good for her. My son absolutely loved that series and I know it's a favorite of many homeschooling families. She might also enjoy the Green Ember series -- it's been a favorite of my daughter's since she was 8. She also loves Where the Mountain Meets the Moon and When the Sea Turned to Silver, both by Grace Lin. They're based on Chinese folklore and beautifully written. They can be intense in places so your mileage may vary on those.
        jen1134
        Last edited by jen1134; 11-25-2020, 06:40 PM.
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
        DS18: Almost done!
        DS17: MP, MPOA
        DS15: MP, MPOA
        DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
        DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
        DD9: SC3
        DD6: MPK

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma
          Not a series but all my kids love The Ordinary Princess by M.M. Kaye. Just a sweet story about an ordinary looking princess.
          This might be a little harder to find, but definitely worth it! (Wait it looks like Sonlight sells it, so maybe it's in print again?)

+1 for Narnia.

Princess Academy- the original book, anyhow. I haven't read the others. Shannon Hale has another series that begins with Goose Girl. It's better for an older girl. Nothing adult, but a little more serious, and think someone might kiss? I don't know about her Princess in Black series, although her writing is mostly well-done. You might want to pre-read one and see what you think.

Robin McKinley did some well-done retellings of fairy tales (Beauty, Spindle, Door in the Hedge). Those a good, but at a little higher reading level than Narnia. Again, she has some books geared more towards teens as well.

Not a princess story exactly, but Reluctant Dragon would appeal to the same type of reader. (Kenneth Graham).

Frog Princess (ED Baker) is fun, but I don't know anything about the other books by the same author.

Wanda Gag did Tales from Grimm Tales from Grimm (Fesler-Lampert Minnesota Heritage): Gág, Wanda: 9780816649365: Amazon.com: Books
          My dd about wore out what was left of my almost worn out copy. It's held together with a rubber band (as are both sets of Narnia that we own)

This was another favorite. I have my copy from when I was kid. I think I got it around third grade or so. I think you can find other editions for a little less money: A Child's Book of Stories ; Best-Known and Best-Loved Tales from Around the World ; 463 pages on acid-free paper Heirloom Edition: Jessie Wilcox Smith, Aesop, Arabian Nights, Brothers Grimm, etc.: Amazon.com: Books

I've got another in mind, but I'll have to wait until my daughter wakes up. It is in her room, and I cannot remember the title.

Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my first cup of tea is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

2021-2022

DD (16) Appling to college. Mostly DE with a little MP to finish up homeschooling.

"School Administrator" to Bonus Kid (9): MP 3A

Comment

The Accidental Princess by Jen Storer

Comment

The King’s Equal.
              Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my first cup of tea is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

2021-2022

DD (16) Appling to college. Mostly DE with a little MP to finish up homeschooling.

"School Administrator" to Bonus Kid (9): MP 3A

Comment

Naxi
                Naxi I can't find that one, for some reason. Can you drop a link?

Comment

Thank you, ladies, so, so much!!!

Comment

Hmm... Jen Storer is an Australian author. This is a link to Penguin Australia, but you are right - I am having difficulty finding it on my usual international sites, sorry.

https://www.penguin.com.au/books/the...-9781742533759

It is available on the Australian Kindle site (I can't see the US one from here). Also, I think Booktopia does international shipping if you cannot find something more local: https://www.booktopia.com.au/the-acc...43305736.html#

Natalie

Comment

If you like Australian author's you might also like the Fairy Realm series by Emily Rodda. It is set in the Blue Mountains outside Sydney. The protagonist's grandmother is Queen of the Fairy Realm, who abdicated in order to marry a human.

Those ones are available at www.bookdepository.com (If you were looking for second hand copies, apparently the UK title is "Fairy Charm".)

Comment

Naxi
                        Naxi Thank you so much!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X