Poem memorization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poem memorization

I am looking at second grade enrichment, week 12. It says to add this week's poem to the list of short poems being memorized. What list? Should I just add this poem to morning recitation? Should I add every week's poem to recitation? Thank you for clarification.

Jessica,

That instruction is a carry-over from the Kindergarten and 1st Grade Enrichments. In our classes at the model school, we found that the shorter poems are quickly memorized by students when reviewed regularly. Classroom teachers use the oral recitation of these shorter poems as a classroom management tool when transitioning within a classroom like coming over to circle time from desks or when coming in from lunch. By reciting these poems aloud the students are quickly placing their lunchboxes where they belong, not dawdling, and transitioning quietly because it eliminates chatter thus re-enforcing the mood of the classical classroom. The periodic review of the poetry is scheduled in the Curriculum Manual and thus encouraged in the Enrichment Guide. Many homeschool families do not need to use the poetry as a classroom management tool, but your students will still benefit from review of the poems and memorization of some shorter ones. As a teacher I loved hearing the girls going through their poems as they would swing in tandem on the playground! This is definitely not an imperative, just a suggestion to add a little beauty to your school day!

Comment

Michelle T
      MP Representative
      Michelle T Thanks you for that clarification. We will add it to our recitation binder. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
        Jessica,

That instruction is a carry-over from the Kindergarten and 1st Grade Enrichments. In our classes at the model school, we found that the shorter poems are quickly memorized by students when reviewed regularly. Classroom teachers use the oral recitation of these shorter poems as a classroom management tool when transitioning within a classroom like coming over to circle time from desks or when coming in from lunch. By reciting these poems aloud the students are quickly placing their lunchboxes where they belong, not dawdling, and transitioning quietly because it eliminates chatter thus re-enforcing the mood of the classical classroom. The periodic review of the poetry is scheduled in the Curriculum Manual and thus encouraged in the Enrichment Guide. Many homeschool families do not need to use the poetry as a classroom management tool, but your students will still benefit from review of the poems and memorization of some shorter ones. As a teacher I loved hearing the girls going through their poems as they would swing in tandem on the playground! This is definitely not an imperative, just a suggestion to add a little beauty to your school day!
        This is an intriguing idea. "Constructive distractions" actually improve focus for some of my kids when they're doing tasks. I wonder what would happen if we used poetry recitation for chore time...
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
        DS18: Almost done!
        DS17: MP, MPOA
        DS15: MP, MPOA
        DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
        DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
        DD9: SC3
        DD6: MPK

Comment

You will have to tell me if that works Jen!

Comment

I've heard of using songs for transition (Waldorf educators do this often) but I've never thought of using our poems! What a great concept for added reinforcement!
            ~Catherine~

DD 10yr (4th)
            DS 9yr (3rd/4th)
            DS 7yr (1st)
            DS 5yr
            DD 3yr

Comment

Working...
            X