Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: Need Advent Ideas

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for something special to do as a family at nights during advent. My children are ages 14, 12, and 7.

Previously, we have done a "Jesse Tree" with a little ornament and a short reading from the Old Testament. Then we would light the advent wreath while we read a chapter from one of the Jotham's Jouney books. The kids loves tradition and repetition, but the older kids seemed bored last year because it was our 2nd reading through all of the Jotham's Journey books so they knew what to expect. (They still liked the time, it just wasn't as looked forward to as it was in previous years.) What else could we do that would be similar? My husband is battling cancer, so we are looking for something stress free that will still give meaning to this time. Any ideas?
    Cathy aka The Attached Mama
    2019-2020
    DS 12, 7th Grade
    DD 11, 6th Grade
    DS 5, K

We have done a Jesse Tree in the past, but the past couple of years we have loved using Cindy Rollins' Hallelujah which goes through Handel's Messiah. She's updated it this year: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1944435077...6k1-sNpEs1E3z8

And much love and prayers for you and your family as your husband battles cancer. I pray that Advent this year provides hope and comfort for all of you!
    Central Ohio

2020-2021
    4th year homeschooling - 4th year MP user
    DS 9 - MP 4A
    DS 7 - MP 1
    DS 4 - church preschool

Comment

Thanks buckeye law! I don't know if you remember me, but I am another central Ohio MP user. We live in New Albany.

Also, sorry for all of the typos in my post. My reading glasses broke and I am basically typing blind. . Oh the joys of getting older.
      Cathy aka The Attached Mama
      2019-2020
      DS 12, 7th Grade
      DD 11, 6th Grade
      DS 5, K

Comment

Cathy, why don't you turn the question back to your children? They may surprise you with their own good ideas. Personally, I would keep the Jesse Tree going, with different readings - it's true that the older two may not find it as charming anymore, but your youngest still needs that ritual, and I speak as someone who has basically kids of the same age as yours: I want to keep the same things going so that the youngest, too, can reap the same benefits... and the older kids I think still need it too!
        There is also singing, if you are a singing family: it builds the dramatic tension to stick to Advent hymns, though I know it's hard!
        We also like to have a family Advent puzzle going: the Vermont Christmas Company has many nativities with 1,000 pieces, and we basically own them all, cycling through them. We love gathering in the evening by the fireplace and work on that together.
        I don't know if you're Catholic, but there is also the tradition of the O Antiphons, which are part of Vespers but can also be done as part of the Christmas Novena, December 16 through the Vigil. Many people like to buy or make ornaments for those as well.
        Another sweet tradition is filling with straw/hay the place in your nativity set where the Baby Jesus will be placed on Christmas morning - each sacrifice or good action means a piece of straw can be placed to make a comfy bed for Jesus.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband! I will keep you all in prayer.
        DS (14)
        DD (13)
        DS (6)

Comment

Originally posted by TheAttachedMama View Post
          Thanks buckeye law! I don't know if you remember me, but I am another central Ohio MP user. We live in New Albany.

Also, sorry for all of the typos in my post. My reading glasses broke and I am basically typing blind. . Oh the joys of getting older.
          Yes I do! I actually was on the Zoom this year for AO Speech & Debate and recognized you! (We decided to hold off a year on joining)
          Central Ohio

2020-2021
          4th year homeschooling - 4th year MP user
          DS 9 - MP 4A
          DS 7 - MP 1
          DS 4 - church preschool

Comment

We have an advent chain with prayers. There is one for each day. Purple colored paper for the purple weeks and pink for the "Gaudette" week. It just gives suggestions for prayers. (We are Catholic) so it might say something like "offer 1 Hail Mary for pregnant women". We say the prayer, and while lighting the candle on the table we sing "O come O come Emmanuel". When we reach December 16, we add in the other Antiphon verses. We tried to start singing it in Latin last year!
            Christine

2020/2021)
            DD1 8/23/09 - MP4 (Math 5)
            DS2 9/1/11 - SC 5/6 2 year pace
            DD3 2/9/13 -SC2/Storytime Treasures/AAR

Previous Years
            DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1
            DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR)

Comment

Something that might help give variety while keeping things simple (I was raised Protestant, so I know this will still work for non-Catholics!): the daily Scripture readings in Mass during Advent are all focused on salvation history, tracing it through the Old Testament, the Psalms, and the Gospels. When I was in a place where we couldn't do anything complicated for Morning Time, I would simply open the day's readings and we would read those. You could open and/or close with a spontaneous prayer and the psalm includes responses for the kids which would add a deeper sense of tradition/participation. I like to use the iBreviary App, but they have a web version as well. Here's a sample from today's Scriptures: http://www.ibreviary.com/m2/letture.php?s=letture Again, this is purely Scripture so it would work for anyone.
              Jennifer
              Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
              DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
              DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
              DS11: SC 4
              DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
              DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
              DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

Thank you, buckeyelaw! I've added this book to my Amazon cart!

Comment

buckeyelaw I just purchased Cindy Rollins' book and am excited for Advent. It truly was an answer to prayer. With Covid, our Advent will look different and I wasn't sure how I wanted to approach it. God's grace and this book has given me a renewed sense of excitement for the coming season.
                  Heidi

dd- 5th
                  ds- 2nd
                  dd- K
                  And one on the way

Comment

Working...
                  X