need Latin review game ideas for online teaching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need Latin review game ideas for online teaching

Hi everyone. Our family formed a mini Latin cottage school (teaching MP, of course) years ago with a few other homeschool families. Due to covid we are having to meet online this year. We are running out of review games to play virtually with our students at the end of classes. I'm afraid we haven't been very creative so far: charades and hangman seem to be our go-to review games. Can anyone recommend some additional games that would be easy to play over Zoom? Currently we have three classes: Latina Christiana, First Form, and Second Form. Thanks for any advice you may have.

I think Kahoot would fit your needs nicely.
    Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
    DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
    DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
    DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
    DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
    DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

This is less fun, but can you start working in the workbook for FF & SF? I'm teaching SF online and have 1.5 hrs for class and I never have extra time. I teach the lesson and we work on the hardest sections of the workbook together. You may be more fun than me though (likely). ?
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
      DS 12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
      DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
      DD 7th • HLN & Home
      DS 4th • HLN & Home
      Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

My go-to vocabulary review game is a variation of Battleship.

Create a whiteboard template in a grid of your preferred size. (6x10 is my preference.) On a page of your own, hide a vocabulary word on each square, then hide "battleships" along vertical or horizontal lines on the grid. I recommend students have their own way of keeping track of which words go where, since the shared board will simply mark hits and misses, whether they can print out a copy of the same template you have (blank, of course) or they can just keep track on their own paper.

If students exceed three, split players into two to three teams. Each student/team gets a round, and each player goes once each round (with one team member going twice if their team is short by one) selecting a square on the grid. You tell them the Latin word hidden on that square, and the student must guess the word's definition. If they are wrong, you give no points and move to the next player. If they are right, you tell them whether they got a miss, a hit, or a sink - mark the square on the white board with an X for a miss, an O for a hit, and a line through the whole ship for a sink. (Be sure to do so in each team's chosen color so you can take score later.

A miss is a correct answer on a square with no battleship. 1 POINT
        A hit is a correct answer on a square with a battleship. 2 POINTS
        A sink is a correct answer on a battleship's last remaining square. 3 POINTS

This way, students always get some points as long as they get a correct answer; the ships are just to motivate certain patterns of selection. (I like to hide battleships under trickier or more crucial vocabulary.) For added difficulty, if a square would be a sink, you can reverse the question by giving them the English definition and require the full Latin dictionary entry for a sink.

While this might be a bit hard to enforce in an online setting, I occasionally give students "lifelines", such as "one time per game, you may spend an opponent team's turn to open your books and hunt down words in the index" - this allows them to break a deadlock when no teams seem to remember a word. But since the whole game operates on scout's honor if you're not in the room with them, your mileage may vary.

Give each team the same number of rounds, then count up the points. The team with the most points gets eternal glory.

Comment

Working...
        X