Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we talk about Spelling in Grade 3 and above?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChadC
    replied
    The logic behind the first question is that students are good at grasping sounds, thus phonics would come easily and also lay a foundation for what lies ahead. Once the basic education on phonics is done, only reading literature would expose them to new words that would require different pronunciations. Thus, phonics leads to the reading of literature, which in turn introduces new words that use different sounds, which again results in developing phonics. Thus, basically a chain reaction.

Leave a comment:

• Fireweed Prep
    replied
    Wow, well, you all convinced me about the MP way of spelling and phonics!!! Just ordered TS 2 for my fourth grader who is behind in spelling!

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied
    We are still working on these, but they are in the editing stage, so we are getting closer. Dianna is right that if you check back toward the end of the month, I will have more exact timing.

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• DiannaKennedy
    replied
    Originally posted by howiecram View Post

I'm looking for this too......any more info regarding this?
    I asked before NYE, and I was told that it should go to the printer next week. So, maybe check back later this month?

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied
    Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post

I searched the site with phonics and spelling .... but came up empty. I sent a message over to the sales department last evening, too.
    I'm looking for this too......any more info regarding this?

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied
    Originally posted by jen1134 View Post

yes, a new edition of the book was released a couple of years ago. I can’t pull the link right now, but I believe the cross-reference PDF is linked on the Classical Phonics product page on MP’s website.
    The cross reference is here: https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...sical-phonics/ - just scroll down a bit.

Leave a comment:

• jen1134
    replied
    Originally posted by Evangelina View Post
    This may have been answered somewhere else and if it was I apologize. I am doing TS 1 and for instance Lesson 6, Day 1 it lists some work under Classical Phonics. I have been assuming this is the MP Classical Phonics, A Child's Guide to Word Mastery, Book. But the work listed by page does not match with the pages in the CP book I have. Are there revisions to the Classical Phonics book that may have caused this or am I completely off track here. Help would be appriciated.
    yes, a new edition of the book was released a couple of years ago. I can’t pull the link right now, but I believe the cross-reference PDF is linked on the Classical Phonics product page on MP’s website.

Leave a comment:

• Evangelina
    replied
    This may have been answered somewhere else and if it was I apologize. I am doing TS 1 and for instance Lesson 6, Day 1 it lists some work under Classical Phonics. I have been assuming this is the MP Classical Phonics, A Child's Guide to Word Mastery, Book. But the work listed by page does not match with the pages in the CP book I have. Are there revisions to the Classical Phonics book that may have caused this or am I completely off track here. Help would be appriciated.

Leave a comment:

• DiannaKennedy
    replied
    Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
    Have you checked lately? I feel like i saw it when I placed an order recently.
    I searched the site with phonics and spelling .... but came up empty. I sent a message over to the sales department last evening, too.

Leave a comment:

• Michelle T
    replied
    Have you checked lately? I feel like i saw it when I placed an order recently.

Leave a comment:

• DiannaKennedy
    replied
    Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
    Those in the final editing process and could be available any day now!
    Any update on these? Phonics guide for SW?

Leave a comment:

• Michelle T
    replied
    That is the goal.

Leave a comment:

• Michelle T
    replied
    Those in the final editing process and could be available any day now!

Leave a comment:

• DiannaKennedy
    replied
    Michelle T ----- is the Phonics guide available for use with SW? It was mentioned in the Teacher Training this summer, but last I checked, it wasn't available for purchase.

Leave a comment:

• Michelle T
    replied
    You are correct in the observation that there is less direct phonic instruction at the grammar stage levels. The primary years are when there is quite a bit of phonic instruction in coordination with both reading and spelling because students are learning to read so it is the best time to teach those concepts. By grade 3 students have a good handle on reading and just need varied practice of real literature but spelling levels are lower. At this stage we don't have written phonics lessons so when students need to decode in reading we suggest you rely on syllabication and phonetic chunking techniques learned in K-2 to teach your student how to attack an unfamiliar word. All phonic instruction should be tied to spelling in 3-6 because spelling is phonics for mastery. With Traditional Spelling III expect to spend around 20 to 30 a day working on phonics for spelling.

This is different from most programs. Some continue with an inordinate amount of phonics and phonetic readers and contrived stories through 6th grade while others drop all phonics. Once phonics are dropped all together spelling becomes a lesson in memorization and short-term memory recall which is why many students incorrectly spell words within their writing that have been covered in previous spelling lessons. They memorized for the test and because the phonics of why the words are spelled the way they are was not a focus, they quickly forgot and reverted to how the word sounds or their visual memory of a spelling which can be incorrect if they wrote a word wrong enough times. When spelling has been relegated to a memory exercise, it takes little class time. Thus we arrive at modern-day spelling programs in 3-6. Little class time, just copy words, take a pre-test, complete the workbook pages, take the final test. Spelling has been this way since I was in elementary school (long, long, ago.) Third through Sixth graders need phonics lessons for spelling which, by the way, helps their reading.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X