Q: How did Memoria Press get its name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q: How did Memoria Press get its name?

Can someone share the story of how, among so many possible choices, the name Memoria was chosen for the title of the Press?

I have some ideas, but I would love to hear it if someone can tell it.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2020-2021
    11th year HSing · 9th year MP
    @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
    11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

This question may have to wait until Tanya returns from vacation, unless I see Brian around today.

Comment

Hopping over to interject this from Mrs. Lowe. I had asked Mrs. Lowe the same question, Jessica P., and I'm so thankful I did.

I came up with the name memoria (memoria -ae) because memory is so foundational to a classical education and as you know is completely countercultural to progressive education. Training the memory is the first practical task of the teacher. Training teachers to focus on memorization in the classroom is really the first practical step in turning that teacher away from modern education to traditional classical education. -- Cheryl Lowe

Comment

Thank you so much for sharing that from Mrs. Lowe, cherylswope. As if we needed any more reasons to love Mrs. Lowe, we have another.
        2020/2021 - 3rd MP Year
        S - 6, 1st Grader @ home and HLN
        D - 4, Junior Kindergartener @ home
        S - 3, Junior Junior Kindergartener @ home

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
          Hopping over to interject this from Mrs. Lowe. I had asked Mrs. Lowe the same question, Jessica P., and I'm so thankful I did.

I came up with the name memoria (memoria -ae) because memory is so foundational to a classical education and as you know is completely countercultural to progressive education. Training the memory is the first practical task of the teacher. Training teachers to focus on memorization in the classroom is really the first practical step in turning that teacher away from modern education to traditional classical education. -- Cheryl Lowe

Oh what a treasure!!! I'm so thankful you asked this and kept it. I'll be keeping it, too.
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

2020-2021
          11th year HSing · 9th year MP
          @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
          11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Working...
          X