Assigned Reading Beyond MP Lit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assigned Reading Beyond MP Lit

How do you handle either free reading or assigned reading, outside of MP curriculum, for a second grader that is an avid reader. Our library has very little that we can use, so I am having to purchase almost everything. My daughter is constantly asking me to buy books, which is okay up until a certain point, but some of them are expensive, and some of them I would rather just pass on. I am trying to come up with a smoother system for keeping her in books. What is your approach, beyond having shelves full of books? Thank you for sharing!

In what kind of area do you live? You’d be surprised at what ends up at church donations, because I’ve worked at them. Just ask. Knock, and you’ll receive.
    -Victoria

at home:
    boy - 3rd grade
    boy - 2nd grade
    boy - k/1st
    girl - toddler

Comment

Hmmmm. Maybe you're right. I think I'll check. Thanks!

Comment

My daughter is older than yours but also an avid reader, so we've had this dilemma for a while. First, remember it's a good problem to have! How awesome that this child loves to read and asks for more books!

We rely heavily on our library, so our solutions may not be much help. Have you asked about inter-library loans? Our small library is part of a huge system, and we can request almost anything from other member libraries and pick up at ours. My daughter finds favorite authors and then requests everything she can find by them (Roald Dahl, George MacDonald, Bill Peet). Local book sales and book swaps are another great resource. There's an annual event here where you can drop off books and take anything you want that others have dropped. We have a relative who gets piles of books there and gives them to our kids for Christmas. Finally, when my daughter "runs out" of books, she will complain or beg to make a second trip to the library. Sounds harsh maybe, but I refuse to go to the library more than once a week, as it's a half hour drive each way! Those are often the times that my daughter will either re-discover books on our shelves that are worth re-reading, or she will find a non-reading project, start a jigsaw puzzle, work on a craft kit, or just head outside...all worthwhile activities that fall by the wayside when she has a stack of books to get lost in. I think it's important to balance reading with more active pursuits, so I sometimes need to say, "Library trip is on Monday, and we've reached our limit for buying books this month. Check the shelves for something to re-read or pick up that project you started last week."
        DS 12 MP7
        DD 10 MP5
        DS 8 MP3
        DD 5 MPK
        DS 3
        DS 3 months

Comment

It seems like libraries just aren't spending their dollars on classics anymore. There might be one unabridged and one abridged copy of something like Little Women and a whole shelf of series twaddle.

I think a good strategy is to have a list of books that you want to procure. (I put together one for our family many years ago, and now we own most of what is on it.). When relatives ask what to get your child for a birthday or Christmas, you can give them a few of those titles to choose from. We also gave books for Easter instead of elaborate baskets of candy. Take your list with you to places like Half-Price Books or other used book stores. I know that we have loaned many books out to families with whom we are friends. If you ask other homeschoolers, they would probably be willing to do the same.

Blessings,
          Jude
          DD23
          DS20
          DS18
          DS16
          DD13
          DS11
          DD8

Comment

Half Price Books is a great resource!

Comment

In 3rd grade, my eldest was devouring historical fiction. I think it was the incredibly well-written Childhood of Famous Americans biographies that got her hooked. We wound up stumbling across some really great series at a used book shop. One was American Adventure series. Another was a Revolutionary War series about Annie Henry by Susan Olasky. We've found success with the Dear America series at our local library, which are fictionalized diaries written in different vernaculars to explore various periods in history. When she read Little Women, she got every other book written by Louisa May Alcott. A few were on Hoopla, although we get as many as we can in paper due to the blue light and screen issues we're trying to avoid. When we find one book, we try to complete the series through eBay, thriftbooks, Goodwill or DAV thrift stores. Our interlibrary loans are $5/each, so it's cheaper to own them used.

We ask for books for birthdays and Christmas. Relatives look for books at their own swaps and thrift stores. I also allow my kids to earn book money by using exceptionally good handwriting for MP assignments. I give 10 cents per spelling list or Latin workbook page, up to 50 cents for a whole page of comprehension questions, and up to $1 for Classical Composition final drafts. If more than 2 words are copied/spelled incorrectly, it's all forfeit. This works for us because I ran out of motivation to encourage attention to detail and legible cursive. The nice thing is that I want to buy the books anyway, so I get the side benefit of beautiful, legible handwriting.
              Mama to 2

Summer:
              MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
              SY 20/21
              4A

Comment

smithamykat You make valid points. Concerning interlibrary loans...they cost us $3-$4 per books, to use for about 10 days. At that price I decided it was a better value to just buy a used picture book and keep it, or even buy it and pass it on!

Comment

I like milestonebooks in addition to the options above. They are quality Christian books with good morals. They have storybooks, chapter books, and textbook readers. My voracious reader likes them and they have good positive messages for reasonable prices.
                  Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
                  DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
                  DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
                  Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
                  Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

enbateau You are on to something. Maybe my dd wouldn't complain about writing quite so much if she saw it as a means by which to earn book money. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

We have a big beautiful library but I am so disappointed in the book selections. I have watched the library over the past 12 years or so we have had it and I see the quality go down in terms of books. I find it impossible to just go into a library or even a book store and browse for books. I have to research books, even for myself because I don't want any yuck in them. But our library doesn't have alot of books that work for me when I search their catalog.

I have a small collections of books about books...LOL I have one from Classical Academic Press, I have Honey for A Childs Heart, Books Children Love, The Read Aloud Handbook. So over the years I guess I just keep my peepers open. Our library does have a used book store attached to it. Infact most of our libraries in our area have a used books store. People donate books to them and they sell them and it goes to some sort of senior citizen charity. So you may want to look for used book stores. I have not had much luck at thrift stores for books. To be honest I just spend the money on Amazon or Half Price Books. Sometimes you can get homeschool book lots like on Ebay or Homeschool Classifieds. But I don't have a solution for a smoothe system. I just buy ALOT of books!!

I have not done the whole digital book, Kindle thing. My husband loves his Kindle. I also know that you can get books from the library on Kindle. Also older books, classics and some of the higher quality stuff can be free on Kindle or very cheap;. They make money off the newer books. Not sure how a second grader would like a Kindle.

What sort of books are you wanting, fiction..non fiction or just a mix and variety?

Comment

Nancy Ann , honestly, I don't know. I thought that the MP reading load would be heavier, so I hadn't planned on it. We do buy a lot of math and science books. I really didn't have a plan; I am just seeing a need. I am considering getting a BookShark program. We used it BkSk the last three years. It would give her plenty of books that I don't have to worry about. I don't have time to preread everything, as much as I would love to. Idk.

Comment

If you're wanting booklists that are curated, you want Martin's and Leigh's booklists.

https://www.memoriapress.com/essenti...ls-books-list/

https://www.memoriapress.com/martins...ys-books-list/

Although they may be labeled boys list and girls list, you could easily interchange them.

I would feel 100% comfortable handing my child the list and saying, "Here. Have fun," and not have to worry about pre reading.
                          ​​​​​​
                          If you're paying 3-4$ for interlibrary loans, I'd consider just purchasing books with Better World Books or Thriftbooks. Both of those have free shipping over a certain amount ($10), rewards programs, frequent deals, etc.

Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
                          DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
                          DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
                          DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
                          DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
                          DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica Louise View Post
                            enbateau You are on to something. Maybe my dd wouldn't complain about writing quite so much if she saw it as a means by which to earn book money. Thanks for the tip!
                            Maybe save it for next year. Let this year be about responding to your daughter's individual health limits and abilities. As she gets the hang of the material and perseveres through appropriate challenges, then figure out how to motivate her within her abilities. I waited until MP4 to enact this because I had two years of seeing my student's capabilities. My student has no qualms doing the entire workload, but the chance to earn spending money incentivized neatness. And the greatest part about it all is that she recently cashed in her book bucks for a beautiful stationery set to write her grandparents and cousins. She's been pumping out incredible letters in her nicest handwriting after a full day's work. So, it is well within her capabilities, and the requirement has turned the thing she dreaded most into her shining achievement.
                            Mama to 2

Summer:
                            MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
                            SY 20/21
                            4A

Comment

I have a teacher's discount card to Barnes&Noble that gives me 20% off most everything. They can be a behind about it some years when I renew so I talk to a manager, if neccessary, to get it. ABE Books is another good place for books. My aunt, who was a librarian for years and years, uses that site a ton.

Has anyone suggested the HLS Summer Reading List yet? I'm coming up short finding the link tonight. Perhaps someone else has it and could post?

The Homeschool Grads:
                              J- 6/96
                              S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
                              G- 4/04
                              D- 5/05
                              F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
                              M- 9/16

Comment

Working...
                              X