Famous Men/Dorothy Mills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Famous Men/Dorothy Mills

If I don’t want to do the Famous Men series as scheduled because of maturity/sensitivity issues and want to do all of the Dorothy Mills books, how advantageous is it to do the FM books before the Mills books? Are the Mills books as graphics as the FM books?

Hello.

Whereas the Famous Men books are character-centered, the Mills books are a more cohesive overview of the time period being studied. The Famous Men books are ideal for grammar school, and the Mills books are a level up - more middle school appropriate. I don't remember the Mills books being as graphic as the Famous Men books, but they are still going to cover the same events - just in a more detailed way that is appropriate for middle schoolers.

I'm not sure this helps at all. You might want to look at the samples of the Mills books on our website to see what you think about the reading level.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
      Hello.

Whereas the Famous Men books are character-centered, the Mills books are a more cohesive overview of the time period being studied. The Famous Men books are ideal for grammar school, and the Mills books are a level up - more middle school appropriate. I don't remember the Mills books being as graphic as the Famous Men books, but they are still going to cover the same events - just in a more detailed way that is appropriate for middle schoolers.

I'm not sure this helps at all. You might want to look at the samples of the Mills books on our website to see what you think about the reading level.

Tanya
      I have! I even bought one of the Mills books already, and I like it. Do you think it’s bad to study these events only once instead of twice?

Comment

Nope. The goal is to learn the history before moving into primary authors, so your goal is to prepare your students to read Caesar, Cicero, Dante, etc. If you can do that one time through, that is just fine! Lots of people start late and can only get through the history once anyway.

Tanya

Comment

Working...
        X