The Magic Flute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Magic Flute

Why is the music selection in week two of second grade from The Magic Flute?

Our music was chosen by Patrick Fata, a classical pianist and the music teacher at Highlands Latin Indianapolis. He chose it based on the 100 pieces of music/composers he felt were most important for students to be familiar with. Obviously, some of this is subjective, and I can't speak to why exactly this selection was chosen, but I can ask him if you are questioning the importance of it.

Tanya

Comment

The music does not always follow the theme of that week's enrichment.

Blessings,
      Jude
      DD24
      DS21
      DS18
      DS16
      DD14
      DS11
      DD9

Comment

I can’t answer your question as to why it was chosen, however, this piece is a big favorite in our house! It is the first requested when we turn on our music for the morning. In fact, my girls were so amazed that someone could make their voice sound like that my older two have decided to start voice lessons!

I am so thankful for these music selections in K-2! It’s rewarding to hear my kids name a piece or composer when it comes on Symphony Hall!
        Katie

DS 17: Senior!
        DD 14: 10th
        DD 10: 6th
        Twin DD's 8: 3rd
        Mix of MP, Co-op, TAN and traveling the U.S

Comment

Wow, Katie! I think Patrick would be so excited to hear your daughters have been inspired to sing! I know I love this - and the inspiration didn't come from some pop star, but from classical music!

Tanya

Comment

It is very challenging to "theme" the songs with the enrichment week. The goal of the Music Enrichment is to expose the students to pieces that are key for cultural literacy. Many of these songs used to be included in cartoons and commercials but today most students never hear classical pieces. This program is an introduction based on a blend of the pieces Cheryl felt important and the ones Mr. Fata did! All of this to say, don't look too closely for a theme tie-in because it likely isn't there!

Comment

Thank you, everyone!

Comment

My kids also love this selection in particular, and often request the video of the performance from YouTube. ETA: Forgot to caveat that parents should pre-watch...we don't watch with the subtitles on, which it looks like this link has. Sorry!!

https://youtu.be/YuBeBjqKSGQ
                Last edited by JodiSue; 10-08-2020, 03:52 PM.
                Jodi
                ~~~~~~~
                2019-20 School Year:
                Ethan (7A)
                Matthew (5A)
                Silas (1st)
                Eleanor (4yo dabbling in PK as time allows)
                Andrew (brand new as of Oct 2019)

Comment

The aria is iconic. I don’t suggest watching the video unless you know your student can handle it. This selection is for exposure to the song. Just listen and enjoy. No need to speak of meaning!

Comment

Thank you all so much!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X