Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jessica Louise
    replied
    tanya Thank you! Hasn't this been a crazy year!

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied
    That is the correct poem, Jude! And Jessica Louise, the book has come into our warehouse finally, so you should be getting it soon!

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• SaintJude7
    replied
    And now I have found the Fujikawa book on our shelves! It is a slightly different version of a traditional wassail, which is why there is no author listed.

Here's to thee,
    Old apple tree!
    Stand fast root,
    Bear well top,
    Pray God send us
    A youling crop!

Every twig
    Apple big;
    Every bough
    Apple enow;
    Hats full, caps full,
    Fill quarter sacks full!
    Holla, boys, holla!
    Huzza!

I think when my children had this one we did not have any sort of guide to go along with the poem. As far as we could tell "youling" was a form of "yowling," and a youling crop was what my New Hampshire friend called a "wicked good" crop.

Blessings,
    Jude

Leave a comment:

• SaintJude7
    replied
    Are you by any chance studying apples or trees this week? I think the poem you are looking for may be the one that comes from the tradition of "wassailing the trees," which is a fascinating topic to look up online. I can't get to that book at the moment, but if I remember correctly, the poem is:

Here’s to thee, old apple-tree,
    Whence thou may’st bud, and whence thou may’st blow,
    And whence thou may’st bear apples enow
    Hats full! caps full!
    Bushel-bushel-sacks full,
    And my pockets full, too, huzzah!

The book may have a slightly different translation, since this is a traditional song. All I could remember was the "apples enow" (because how often do you see that phrase?), but it was enough to find it online.

Blessings,
    Jude

Leave a comment:

• Jessica Louise
    started a topic Book hasn't arrived yet- need poem

Book hasn't arrived yet- need poem

I still have not received 'A Child's Book of Poems'. Can anyone help me? I need 'Here's to Thee' from page 100 of A Child's Book of Poems, for second grade, week one.
Working...
X