Book hasn't arrived yet- need poem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book hasn't arrived yet- need poem

I still have not received 'A Child's Book of Poems'. Can anyone help me? I need 'Here's to Thee' from page 100 of A Child's Book of Poems, for second grade, week one.

Are you by any chance studying apples or trees this week? I think the poem you are looking for may be the one that comes from the tradition of "wassailing the trees," which is a fascinating topic to look up online. I can't get to that book at the moment, but if I remember correctly, the poem is:

Here’s to thee, old apple-tree,
    Whence thou may’st bud, and whence thou may’st blow,
    And whence thou may’st bear apples enow
    Hats full! caps full!
    Bushel-bushel-sacks full,
    And my pockets full, too, huzzah!

The book may have a slightly different translation, since this is a traditional song. All I could remember was the "apples enow" (because how often do you see that phrase?), but it was enough to find it online.

Blessings,
    Jude
    DD23
    DS20
    DS18
    DS15
    DD13
    DS11
    DD8

Comment

And now I have found the Fujikawa book on our shelves! It is a slightly different version of a traditional wassail, which is why there is no author listed.

Here's to thee,
      Old apple tree!
      Stand fast root,
      Bear well top,
      Pray God send us
      A youling crop!

Every twig
      Apple big;
      Every bough
      Apple enow;
      Hats full, caps full,
      Fill quarter sacks full!
      Holla, boys, holla!
      Huzza!

I think when my children had this one we did not have any sort of guide to go along with the poem. As far as we could tell "youling" was a form of "yowling," and a youling crop was what my New Hampshire friend called a "wicked good" crop.

Blessings,
      Jude
      DD23
      DS20
      DS18
      DS15
      DD13
      DS11
      DD8

Comment

That is the correct poem, Jude! And Jessica Louise, the book has come into our warehouse finally, so you should be getting it soon!

Tanya

Comment

tanya Thank you! Hasn't this been a crazy year!

Comment

Working...
          X