LWW Scriptural Connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LWW Scriptural Connections

In reading Chapter 7 of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, we made a fun connection to scripture. I have never studied this formally, so forgive if this is common knowledge.

This morning we were listening to Handel's Messiah, and our favorite aria came on: "Ev'ry valley shall be exalted" (see 3:00 in)

From Isaiah 40:4

"Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain."

As we were reading about the Beaver's dam, we noticed how the ice is referred to as "level" in the description on p. 69.

"And above the dam there was what ought to have been a deep pool but was now, of course, a level floor of dark green ice."

From Luke 3:4-5
    "As it is written in the book of the words of Isaiah the prophet, saying, The voice of the one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be brought low; and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways shall be made smooth..."

Could this be that Beaver is a John the Baptist type figure in his preparing the way for Aslan? The rough places made plain?

And in case anyone wanted to take a detour into scripture to back up the "warm fuzzies" the Pevensies get when hearing the name of Aslan, we found the account of the disciples walking with Jesus on the road to Emmaus in Luke 24:32 to be helpful.

"And they said to one another, 'Did not our hearts burn within us while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?'" Cue tie in to Altobello Melone's The Road to Emmaus.

A million thanks to Memoria Press for all of its beautiful materials that make connections to the Gospels and enrich our school day!
    Mama to 2

Summer:
    MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
    SY 20/21
    4A

I'm reading LWW aloud to my youngest for the first time. We are reading C. 15 tonight! I don't know who is more excited? Cleary--it's me. Thank you for sharing this!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2020-2021
    11th year HSing · 9th year MP
    @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
    11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Working...
    X