Question about Copywork English Grammar I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Copywork English Grammar I

My 3rd grader is becoming very frustrated with the copywork in English Grammar Recitation I. He has good cursive (I'm biased, of course) but it is too big for the amount of lines provided in the copybook. We like keeping our work contained to workbooks so that we don't have loose paper everywhere and also so that we can look back through workbooks and see improvement. I'm wondering how important it is to copy the WHOLE rule and the WHOLE example. I know value is coming from the cursive practice and that writing the rules/examples is aiding in memory work but it's coming with much frustration and some tears.... Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank.

Good morning. While there are definite benefits to copying the rule and example, it can be frustrating if you never seem to get everything to fit like you want it. I would encourage you to have him continue to the copy the whole rule but leave off copying the examples. Don't quit having him memorize or recite these daily, just eliminate the copying. As long as it doesn't hamper his mastery you should be fine. We don't want frustration!

Comment

We did the opposite. We copied only the examples, because the goal was to memorize the rule, not memorize the examples, but be able to write the examples correctly. I don't know how a student could know how to write the examples without writing them. We mostly did this because 3A proved to be too much writing for my student. We also stopped writing them for the weekly quizzes by about mid-year. Now that we've found our footing in EGR II, the review has been easy for her because we did such a good job of drilling, chanting, and reviewing flashcards from EGR I. I used the challenging words as bonus words most weeks during spelling tests. The words my student struggled with that we still review this year are: Horatius, Poseidon, Caesar, assassinated, Michelangelo, Pieta, Captain, Sincerely, Tolkien.
      Mama to 2

Summer:
      MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
      SY 20/21
      4A

Comment

On page 6 of the Teaching Guidelines in EGR I, Cheryl Lowe does give you permission to skip the copying of the rules. For punctuation and capitalization rules, you will need to practice the dictation of the examples though. If you want your student to continue copying the rules though, and there isn't room in the book for him, you could have a journal (like the MP Comp & Sketchbooks) that he writes his rules into. Eventually, he will have a complete copy of the little green EGR manual! Some students learn better by copying, and others learn better by recitation, so feel free to use the homeschooling flexibility of choosing the best method for your student!

Tanya

Comment

Deb H
          We also have plenty of writing in the other subjects so what I am doing this year for practicing the rules and examples is I am making capitalization flashcards that we are reviewing until the standard flashcards begin with the actual grammar rules. I write the rule on the front and the examples on the back and we highlight the words that are capitalized and talk about why they are/aren't.

We do all of the practice work in the book one day. Another day we make our flashcards and talk about them. Another day I write the examples on a whiteboard with no words capitalized and he has to correct each word and tell me why it is capitalized. This is fun with dry erase markers. The other days we review our flashcards and work on reciting the rules. I do not have him copy the rule for the examples into the book nor do we do the quiz as dictation. for a different student this would be no problem, but for my student we already are at his daily writing max. I repeat the whiteboard quiz with made up sentences from his other subjects which adds some fun.

This is one subject where I look to reduce handwriting along with Christian Studies to lighten the overall load for accelerated third.

A few weeks ago we used this made up whiteboard sentence:

The goddess Athena helps Telemachus find his father.

Because that's what the talk was about in the homeschool that day... 🙂
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

2020-2021
          11th year HSing · 9th year MP
          @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
          11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
            Deb H
            We also have plenty of writing in the other subjects so what I am doing this year for practicing the rules and examples is I am making capitalization flashcards that we are reviewing until the standard flashcards begin with the actual grammar rules. I write the rule on the front and the examples on the back and we highlight the words that are capitalized and talk about why they are/aren't.

We do all of the practice work in the book one day. Another day we make our flashcards and talk about them. Another day I write the examples on a whiteboard with no words capitalized and he has to correct each word and tell me why it is capitalized. This is fun with dry erase markers. The other days we review our flashcards and work on reciting the rules. I do not have him copy the rule for the examples into the book nor do we do the quiz as dictation. for a different student this would be no problem, but for my student we already are at his daily writing max. I repeat the whiteboard quiz with made up sentences from his other subjects which adds some fun.

This is one subject where I look to reduce handwriting along with Christian Studies to lighten the overall load for accelerated third.

Oh, I'm going to try the flashcard idea and whiteboard practice!! Thanks for sharing these ideas!! I've found it helpful for my child to give a thumbs up to words that need to be capitalized while reciting the examples.
            Last edited by Anne E; 09-10-2020, 05:38 PM.
            Anne

2020/2021
            DD 8 - 3M with Prima Latina
            DD 6 - MP core 1st grade
            DS 4 - along for the ride

Comment

That's a great idea!
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

2020-2021
              11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Comment

Thank you so much for the suggestions. Sometimes we just need permission to modify!! What’s comical about my stress over this is that I didn’t do any of the grammar recitation or copywork with my now 6th grader! We worked the exercises in the workbook and she has studied the Grammar Recitation flash cards on her own over the past 3 years. She knows all 90 rules, capitalization and punctuation rules and the examples. I think it’s a huge testament to how well the curriculum is put together and all the repetition (as well as her studiousness). I think I’m overly worried about my 3rd grader because now that I’m teaching 3rd grade for the second time I don’t want to feel like I’m “winging it” like I felt the first time around.

Comment

Deb H

Jessica,

This is great! I’m going to do the whiteboard thing too.

Comment

Deb H

Jessica,

Someone mentioned either here or on Facebook that the capitalization flash cards are in the back of the stack. I didn’t find them for last year, but they were handy for review this year.
                    --Amanda

DD #1 - 4th
                    DD #2 - 1st

Comment

Oh thanks! I'll look.
                      Festina lentē,
                      Jessica P

2020-2021
                      11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd