Checking Second Grade Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking Second Grade Work

Would you be willing to share what grading/checking work (specifically tests) looks like for your second grader? This is our first year with MP, and today we had our first Latin test, as well as the first instance of misspelling on a spelling test.

My student got every answer correct on the Latin test, but misspelled most words. Do you mark these incorrect, or review the correct spelling and move on?

For spelling, he missed one spelling word, which we will review again with next week's word list, but he misspelled a word in the dictation sentence that was NOT a spelling word. How do you handle that?

Thanks for any guidance you are willing to offer

Hello and welcome to the forum, dlwright12. I will not be of much help to you, but someone who will be of help with be along fairly soon.
    '22/'23 - 5th MP Year
    Dad/HLN 3/4vium Magister
    8S, 3nd MP @ Home & HLN
    6D, 1st MP @ Home & HLN
    5S, K MP @ Home & HLN

Comment

No worries! Michelle is coming to the rescue soon!

Comment

Thank you Beorn and tanya !

Comment

Greetings!

One of the goals of Prima Latina is that a student learns to "pronounce, spell, and translate" around 125 Latin words. Spelling counts here. My advice would be to pause where you are in the curriculum and spend a week reviewing vocab and spelling. If you are not already beginning your lesson with an oral review of all the vocabulary two ways, start now. You give the English they say the Latin, then you say the Latin and they say the English. Do plenty of activities in which the student is writing the Latin words. Whiteboards are a great tool here. Hang out with these words until your child has a good handle on the spelling. In the following weeks be sure there is plenty of extra attention given to the spelling by doing whiteboard activities in which the student is writing the words as well as reading words. Post the week's vocabulary in a pocket chart where it is visible throughout the week, if you can, too.

You did exactly what I would suggest for the one list word missed on Traditional Spelling. The fact that he missed a non-list word would be more of an issue if your student had been with MP from kindergarten and first grade beause only common words that have been covered are used. In your case I would just note the word missed and find ways to practice it throughout the week. It will likely appear again. Maybe write it on a card to display for the week too. Tell your child it will be a "bonus" word next week! Find alternate times to ask the spelling of the word. While riding in the car, at dinner, as he leaves to go out to play, make it a game. He won't know when to expect that you may ask for the spelling!!

Comment

These are very helpful ideas. Thanks so much Michelle T

Comment

You are welcome!!

Comment

There she is, Michelle T, just like Gandalf. “A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.”
                '22/'23 - 5th MP Year
                Dad/HLN 3/4vium Magister
                8S, 3nd MP @ Home & HLN
                6D, 1st MP @ Home & HLN
                5S, K MP @ Home & HLN

Comment

Beorn,

Thank you for the morning chuckle!!

Comment

Michael! Always with a Tolkien quote at hand ...

Comment

Working...
                    X