Fable question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fable question

I'm brand new to MP and homeschooling. Regarding Classical Composition, my 5th grader is doing the 4th grade fable course since he didn't have it before. I'm confused about the narrative instructions. It says in the lesson plan "students narrate." Then it gives guidelines for grading a written narration. So is the written narrative a summary of the fable after doing their outline, but before doing the variations and paraphrases? A type of very early rough draft? Is it the outline itself?

I'm sorry if I've overlooked some instructions and am asking an obvious question. I am overwhelmed with starting to homeschool 3 kids/baby/working etc. I actually have palpitations when I sit down to try to plan the next day. I do hope I catch on quickly!

Abigail Johnson or tanya

Can we help this mama?

I'm beginning Fable myself, and we had planned on a written "narration" for this stage of Classical Comp, but I'm sure you want to hear from those who have completed this series.
    Mama of 2, teacher of 3
    SY 22/23
    6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim w/ Elementary Greek Year One
    MP2

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
    SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math)

Comment

Hello.

Sorry we haven't gotten to this. Abigail probably didn't see it since it isn't on the Classical Composition tab. I'm going to take a stab at it for you.

When you first introduce a Fable lesson, read through the story several times, and then see if your student can orally narrate it back to you. This is purely introductory.

The actual narrative you will be grading will be the paraphrases. The idea is for you to edit the paraphrase and then have your students rewrite it with the edits on another piece of paper. This is the final draft you will grade. You can choose either paraphrase to grade (or let your student choose the one he/she thinks is the best).

Does that answer your questions? Abigail may have something to add here!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        I'm brand new to MP and homeschooling. Regarding Classical Composition, my 5th grader is doing the 4th grade fable course since he didn't have it before. I'm confused about the narrative instructions. It says in the lesson plan "students narrate." Then it gives guidelines for grading a written narration. So is the written narrative a summary of the fable after doing their outline, but before doing the variations and paraphrases? A type of very early rough draft? Is it the outline itself?

I'm sorry if I've overlooked some instructions and am asking an obvious question. I am overwhelmed with starting to homeschool 3 kids/baby/working etc. I actually have palpitations when I sit down to try to plan the next day. I do hope I catch on quickly!
        Hello there! I could be misreading, but I think you are talking about the "Narrate the Fable" assignment that is (or was) slated on a the first Friday of the two week Fable lesson--am I correct? If yes, this is the easiest day of lessons! Simply use the brief outline made during that week's work and let your student look at the outline only and retell the story to you. If you are familiar at all with IEW this is like giving a "telling" using your Key Word Outline. If you don't know IEW, just ignore that.

The oral narration is to catch that the student is including key points and working on a complete retelling before ramping up to paraphrases. Hopefully this helps?
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
        DS Hillsdale College freshman
        DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
        DD 8th • HLN & Home
        DS 5th • HLN & Home
        Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
        Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post

Hello there! I could be misreading, but I think you are talking about the "Narrate the Fable" assignment that is (or was) slated on a the first Friday of the two week Fable lesson--am I correct? If yes, this is the easiest day of lessons! Simply use the brief outline made during that week's work and let your student look at the outline only and retell the story to you. If you are familiar at all with IEW this is like giving a "telling" using your Key Word Outline. If you don't know IEW, just ignore that.

The oral narration is to catch that the student is including key points and working on a complete retelling before ramping up to paraphrases. Hopefully this helps?
          Thank you for the help! This is very useful. We are now into the third week and things are going much more smoothly. Or maybe I am starting to get familiar enough with the program to relax a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
            Hello.

Sorry we haven't gotten to this. Abigail probably didn't see it since it isn't on the Classical Composition tab. I'm going to take a stab at it for you.

When you first introduce a Fable lesson, read through the story several times, and then see if your student can orally narrate it back to you. This is purely introductory.

The actual narrative you will be grading will be the paraphrases. The idea is for you to edit the paraphrase and then have your students rewrite it with the edits on another piece of paper. This is the final draft you will grade. You can choose either paraphrase to grade (or let your student choose the one he/she thinks is the best).

Does that answer your questions? Abigail may have something to add here!

Tanya
            Thank you, this is very helpful!

Comment

Working...
            X