No announcement yet.

Help! On the fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My kids love the SoTW books, and re-read them often (along with Christ the King: Lord of History, Christ and the Americas, A Child's History of the World, and any other history books they can find), but I don't use them as the spine for our studies. We bought the Activity Books when they first came out, mainly for the supplemental reading suggestions. My kids did some of the crafts on their own, and they liked the coloring pages and maps. I read Well-Trained Mind when it was first published, and it was part of the reason I went down a classical education path. But there were many other books that I found worthwhile: Thomas Jefferson Education, Charlotte Mason, Andrew Campbell, Climbing Parnassus, John Taylor Gatto, The Little Way of Unschooling, Ruth Beechick, Laura Berquist,... It's wonderful to live at a time when we can access all of these ideas.
    One of the things I love about homeschooling is that each family can decide what is important to them. We spend more time on Latin than MP assigns, including translation, from the earliest ages. As Latin Mass-attending Catholics, Latin is an integral part of our daily lives. We start Greek earlier, because they enjoy the challenge. To them Greek and Latin are like secret codes they want to crack. I noticed that my children are really good at setting learning goals (and doing "hard things") for themselves. I'm assigning the center, and they are going off on all these wonderful tangents. They are complete history nerds. They read Dickens, Tolkien, Cervantes, Solzhenitsyn, Machiavelli, Chesterton, Lewis, Sun Tzu, books on business and marketing, books on chess, biographies, etc... We use Classical Writing instead of Classical Composition, so they read all of the assigned and supplemental literature selections for that series as well. My youngest, who did not memorize the 15 brightest stars as suggested, read every astronomy book she could find in the house, and loves to talk about the stories behind the constellations.
    There are so many theories about how individuals learn, what they retain, and if what has been done in classrooms is the only way. At first you may want a curriculum provider to be more of a guide. (Our first year of homeschooling, twenty years ago, was Calvert kindergarten, right of the box.) Over time you find the methods and materials and balance that works for your family. But never feel like you are locked into homeschooling the way someone else is doing it and can't adapt curriculum to your needs and situation.

Blessings,
    Jude
    DD24
    DS21
    DS18
    DS16
    DD14
    DS11
    DD9

Comment

Jude,
      This is a beautiful way of explaining it!

I'm assigning the center, and they are going off on all these wonderful tangents.

​​​​​​​And to the OP--you've totally sounded kind and polite to me! Like someone mentioned above, yes, forum typing can be hard to read. I should change my signature from 'festina lente' to 'written with a smile and extending you a warm beverage' because that's how I always feel about taking with forum friends! ❤️
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
      DS Hillsdale College freshman
      DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
      DD 8th • HLN & Home
      DS 5th • HLN & Home
      Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
      Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Tulip View Post
        “As a comparison, when we did SOTW with the activity book, mummified chicken experiments, cuneiform writing, Chinese kite construction, copious books from the library about each culture, etc, six weeks after we finished our year, my child denied even having studied certain countries. It was too much, too broad, too obtuse, not enough review, no writing.”

yes! Yes! Yes! How is it even possible for me to be exhausted and the kids didn’t retain anything!!!
        sometimes my husband would raise an eyebrow and ask, “are you even teaching them?” because they retained nearly zero info...so much wasted time, money, energy.
        Tulip, at the bottom right of each rectangle surrounding a post there are three things: a little card to "give infraction", a quotation mark with the word "Quote" and a flag, I'm guessing to flag a post as inappropriate - I've never seen the first and last used, but if you click Quote, the forum will copy that post in the text box where you then can write your own reply. You will see the quote clearly, and can erase parts of it, to keep only the lines you mean to respond to.
        These are a lot of (maybe unclear) words to explain something simple!

Another useful trick: if you type a @ and then start typing a forum user's name, you can "tag" that user: they will receive an email alerting them that they've been mentioned by you. You get an email also when someone replies to something you wrote, so you should have received one about this reply of mine. I wonder if you will receive a second email if I type Tulip
        DS (16)
        DD (15)
        DS (8)

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Bee View Post

Tulip, at the bottom right of each rectangle surrounding a post there are three things: a little card to "give infraction", a quotation mark with the word "Quote" and a flag, I'm guessing to flag a post as inappropriate - I've never seen the first and last used, but if you click Quote, the forum will copy that post in the text box where you then can write your own reply. You will see the quote clearly, and can erase parts of it, to keep only the lines you mean to respond to.
          These are a lot of (maybe unclear) words to explain something simple!

Tulip
          oh, my! Thank you! I wondered what those three dots meant!
          -Victoria

at home:
          boy - 3rd grade
          boy - 2nd grade
          boy - k/1st
          girl - toddler

Comment

Working...
          X