Lit Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lit Question

For literature, do you use two books, one for your and one for the child? I am not sure how else you can correct their reading or have them follow along with yours.

I am moving to teacher and student books this year. I've had it with trying to use one book when I really need my own. I need my own to make notes, point out where the answers are, and trying to share is just not as effective anymore.

Next year, I will have 2 kids on the same literature. I will have 3 books - one for each of us.
    Melissa

DS (MP4M) - 10
    DS (MP3A) - 8
    DS (1) - 7
    DD (Adorable distraction) 4

Comment

For the 3rd grade books and younger, I just sit beside my child and we share the books.

For 4th grade and up, I have my own books in all subjects. I pre-read and mark the pages where I can quickly find the answers to the questions. That way, I can point them out if we're struggling to find an answer. I tried to share with my children to save on costs, but it was too much hassle and the books were never where I needed them to be at the time I needed them.

So I just add that line item into our homeschool budget now.
      Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2021-2022:
      11th grade DS: Mix of MP materials, MPOA, and BJU
      9th grade DD: Mostly 9M, MPOA, and French
      7th grade DD: 7M
      5th Grade DD: 5M
      4.5 yo DS: Outside as much as possible beating on things with sticks; MP Jr. K and Mom made fun things

Comment

One copy, which I read ahead of time. My book expenditures are quite sizable as it is. I might underline things that I think are interesting or jot down an idea in the margin (always reading with a pencil in hand), and the children do the same. No one underlines answers to the questions. The books get passed down, child to child, so it is like we are all participating in a conversation with the author and each other. There are notes in the margin from when my oldest read the books. Since she is grown and married, it’s nice that she is still participating in a way.
        In general, if they are reading aloud to me, I don’t need to see the text to know they have made a mistake. If they completely mangle a word beyond recognition, I’ll have them spell it aloud to me.

Blessings,
        Jude

DD24
        DS21
        DS18
        DS16
        DD14
        DS11
        DD9

Comment

I haven't needed a separate novel yet. In the younger grades, you're spending so much time reading over their shoulder to make sure they 1) say every word that's there, and 2) pronounce it correctly. In MP2, I also spent some time making sure my eldest didn't "blow through stop signs," i.e., she needed to give more than a half second pause at the end of a sentence. So, in that regard, the separate book wasn't necessary. Even in MP4, I've pre-read everything this summer, and I tell my eldest to mark answers she finds in her book during silent reading with a mini post-it flag and number them 1-6 (or however many questions there are). That way, when we go back through the novel during class time, I have her reread where she thinks the answer to a question is based on her flag, then we chat about what MUST be included as an answer (or how to make it more concise and not include all of the details). If we use slightly bigger post-it squares, I will have her KWO (key word outline) a few highlights; otherwise, she can now come up with most answers on her own. Up until last year I was still helping her formulate her answers, writing them on the board for her to copy. By mid-year, she was able to do it independently, and we met to do discussion questions. She could go into her own novel while I looked over her shoulder to show me where she thought there was "proof."

If I had a cottage school and were teaching this again/to a group of 2+ (or scored an incredibly cheap copy at a thriftstore), I would definitely have my own of everything. However, when I read the texts myself, I find no problem easily finding the answer (esp because we have those great teacher guides). Occasionally, I will mark page numbers in my Teacher Guide if I think there is some inferencing required (ala, the answer is not explicitly stated, but the student uses textual clues and their own knowledge to formulate a guess).
          Mama of 2, teacher of 3

SY 21/22
          5A w/ SFL & CC Narrative class
          MP1

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A
          SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Thank you for all of the input!

Comment

Separate copies. I have twitchy readers. It gives me a headach to look over their bobbing bouncing shoulders. I was spending so much time saying be still, stop wiggling, etc. It just took some of the joy out of reading. I was constantly nagging.

So, two books from thrift books and that battle was over. If they want to bounce around or hold the book two inches from their nose....rock on. It's not a battle I'm willing to fight.

​​​​​​I started this in second grade when one child lolled on the back of the couch to read. Now, I can hear Mrs. Lowe demanding the child sit up straight with feet flat on the floor....but I just couldn't do it. I was delighted this child was reading at all. I wasn't going to crimp their reading style. Just read dear child!

It has been a great, cheap investment, when I bought them used.
              DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
              DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
              DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
              Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
              Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
                Separate copies. I have twitchy readers. It gives me a headach to look over their bobbing bouncing shoulders. I was spending so much time saying be still, stop wiggling, etc. It just took some of the joy out of reading. I was constantly nagging.
                YES! It was worth the cost for me as well. I do typically buy "my" copy used. I did start marking up the 3rd grade and up books as well. Underlining the vocabulary and marking the part of answers to the questions. when we read together, I basically ask the comprehension question when we are reading so it isn't a "surprise". With my notes in my book I can phrase it differently, but make sure they are getting the point.

Jude - I love that you pass the books down with notes and it is like a family conversation!

Christine

(2022/2023)
                DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
                DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
                DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
                DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
                DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
                DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

Another vote for separate copies, starting in 3rd grade. I'm liable to be switching a load of laundry while we're reading (my laundry closet is in my kitchen), so I need my own copy.
                  Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
                  DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
                  DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
                  DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
                  DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
                  DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

Working...
                  X