Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting in 6th grade!

Hi!
    I have a 6th grade student who we are transitioning from a small, private school to homeschooling for this year ( and maybe more?) School has always been super easy for him. We actually skipped 4th grade ( out of desperation to somehow "challenge" him ) and last year, his 5th grade year, was still too easy. He loves to read and loves math. He does not like writing as much but does understand some about writing well. He knows cursive as well. We haven't done much with foreign language yet but are excited to!
    I am looking for advice about where to start and what's important- what pieces of the curriculum really tie together. I also have a 1st grader and a 4yo. I purchased My Father's Way for my 1st grader but may consider MP for all 3 children next year if we are able to continue homeschooling (I have always wanted to but this is the 1st year my husband has been willing to).
    I have been looking at IEW for writing but would do the MP classical composition if it makes sense. US History based writing lessons is the IEW book I have been considering.
    Looking at LIfe of Fred for math.
    Everything else I have down to purchase is MP...
    English Grammar Recitation
    Grammar III ( is it OK to start here?)
    6th grade literature package
    Book of Ancient Greeks
    History of medicine set ( probably also add in Book of Birds).
    200 Questions about US History
    Guerbers Story of 13 Colonies
    I want to add Bible or Christian studies as well.
    Should I add Geography?
    Plan to study Spanish but willing to consider Latin (at some point after I wrap my head around all of this).
    Do the teacher books have lesson plans? How are the books organized- as in, is there a way to make sense for lesson planning/organizing what to do daily and weekly? I haven't laid eyes on any of the MP books so am not sure what to expect!
    Thanks in advance!
    ~Rachel

Welcome!
    What level is he in math? I've seen lots of used Life of Fred sets around. I think it's a good supplement, but you probably should have a core math first. My math-loving dd liked to read Fred, but liked competition math books as her "fun" math. We did Singapore, but Rod and Staff could be a good spine.

Latin is a -great- first language. It ties into MPs grammar. My dd started with Latin and now does French and Russian.

The 6th grade literature package is a good year, but I wouldn't discount using the fifth grade package and subbing in 6th grade math and spelling. It's a good starting point for several subjects, and the lit goes deep. You could simplify your year and get into a good groove and habits with MP.

Lesson plan .pdfs can be purchased here: https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...plans-subject/
    Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my first cup of tea is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

2021-2022

DD (16) Appling to college. Mostly DE with a little MP to finish up homeschooling.

"School Administrator" to Bonus Kid (9): MP 3A

Comment

Following up on Bean's comment, what sort of personality do YOU have as the teacher/admin? Do you like it to all be planned out and organized? Are you instead looking to blend resources creatively and make your own schedules for subjects? Do you feel under the gun to get started? I like this as a way to think about "how deep to go into MP" for starter because it helps reveal what the parent is hoping for with homeschooling. The more you lean toward the former (having everything planned out and organized for you) the more deeply I suggest you go into one complete curriculum. It solves a lot of the problems about amount of work, pacing, and sequencing. If you piece together it is easy to end up with too much very quickly. Some people do this deftly. I do not; I chronically overdo. I personally need the limits that MP places on me.

If you feel that this structure and guidance would be a good fit then I would encourage you to call MP on Monday and do a complete placement consultation for your boy. (877) 862-1097 A customer service rep can talk you straight down the list of subjects and make sure you are getting solid starting points for each of the cumulative subjects, while giving latitude where he excels. As Bean linked above, individual lesson plans are clutch for someone coming to MP who doesn't fit tidily into a complete core. There are posts where parents point out how they manage those (looking at you, jen1134--she even made a video!) Just because you don't fit into a pre-packed grade core doesn't mean they cannot customize a complete core for you. Many, many people come to MP in middle and high school and find a solid path forward. You are in good company!

And yes to Latin-first. You won't be disappointed! He sounds precocious and Latin is just the medicine for a precocious learner. They eat it up and it satisfies them deeplly.

Until Monday: I'm not recommending any of these items, per se, but I think you would benefit from the "boxing" video shown on the Third Grade page. https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...de-curriculum/
      It will give you a chance to "see" more clearly what the materials are like and what some of them look like inside. It also gives you an idea of what sort of trajectory MP is working on and perhaps a better idea of where your son might be.

Since he is technically the age of a fifth grader this year (am I reading that correctly?) then I would recommend looking at the 5th grade core as your "base" and going from there to adjust. MP is advanced work for the grade level on the "set." In my experience even very advanced students can find the work challenging and enriching on grade level. Should you hang around as a homeschooler and with MP for long, the sequencing will be important for content. If you bump up too soon, you can end up with content that is not age/maturity appropriate quickly in middle school. Examples of this would be Greek Tragedies (they are tragic)), which most would not recommend until 9th or up, or Sir Gawain which is at least 8th (intimacy).
      From the 5th grade set you could:
      • sub in level appropriate math/spelling, if needed
      • Do a combo Fable/Narrative comp year
      • Perhaps do a combo Christian Studies 1 and 2 year, which would be the Old Testament in two semesters. This can be a lighter subject if he's already familiar with the stories.
      I think you could pretty much leave everything else in place and have the vast majority of a complete core to work from (which means you can work from a single curriculum guide for most subjects!!)

I hope this helps, even if it helps give you some idea of what is not for you. Ha! Sometimes that's helpful, too!
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
      12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
      10th • HLN, Latin online, MPOA
      7th • HLN & Home
      4th • HLN & Home
      Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

I have a response for you, but it's unapproved. I think I added too many hyperlinks, trying to be helpful. ?
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

7th • HLN & Home
        4th • HLN & Home

Comment

As someone who took Spanish and lived in Latin America for 3 years (talk about immersion), I highly recommend Latin. It teaches both English and Latin grammar, making Spanish a snap. There are so many cognates, as Spanish is a Latinate language. Sometimes I take for granted the fact that I learn Latin easily because of my Spanish and French language history. But it could just as easily be said the same in reverse: your student will know so many Spanish words because of a solid foundation in Latin. You have 3 years to get Latin under your belt before the high school "foreign language" requirements kick in. Definitely use the momentum to get Latin going.

Definitely call MP, but I wonder if First Form Latin paired with English Grammar Recitation II might be a good fit. EGR II begins with a quick review of EGR I, but you could slow it down and stretch it out to the pace needed to commit it to memory. The student workbook is great for this! Geography I could be fun (make sure you get the US States and Caps Review if he's already memorized the US), but it's also nicely paired with some of the Famous Men series.

Welcome to MP, Rachel! Definitely reach out if you need any other direction.
          Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
          Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
          SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

I studied French, Spanish, and German (and got a useless degree in German Language & Literature) before studying Latin. How I wish I had studied Latin first. The other languages would have been even easier to learn. I could teach my children German first, but I don’t. We start Latin in 2nd, Greek Alphabet in 4th, and they do a bit of French along the way for fun, because that is the language my husband studied. He’s picking up Latin through the Mass ordinary and propers. My oldest daughter studied Latin and Greek and picked up conversational Spanish easily on the job. Studying Latin first is like having a master key to other languages.

Blessings,
            Jude
            DD24
            DS21
            DS18
            DS16
            DD14
            DS11
            DD9

Comment

Hi again!

Bean~
              I am not sure what math level he is in. I was going to start him studying fractions, decimals, percents, ratios etc to make sure he has these down solidly before moving on. Prior to 5th grade, he tested at 97th-99th percentile for everything and nothing lower than 7th grade up to 9th grade (whatever that's worth-we had him tested for our local gifted academy before moving him up a grade). In 5th grade, he was part of an enrichment program in math at his school.
              Thank you for the suggestion of lesson plan PDFs!

Jessica~
              I am really not sure what type of teacher I will be. I like organization and tidiness but not complete structure I suppose because I appreciate flexibility and not being completely locked in. I've learned the value of consistency and structure for the sake of my children and seeing how well they do when they know what to expect. I plan to carry this over into their schoolwork. Thank you for asking these very important questions! I had not taken time to think about this... Realizing this helps me understand more one reason why I am hesitant to purchase a full curriculum. The other big reason is that I want to take advantage of the fact that I get to choose curriculum and find what really fits!
              I feel like I already love this curriculum- the history and richness of it- but I am just not sure that I am ready to start Latin for two reasons... both are self-centered, I suppose. One is that I am busy and committing to homeschooling is already a crazy endeavor that I am taking on. I work full time as a nurse and am just finishing up a program to become a CNM. I need to study for boards and am trying to wrap my head around ALL that is to come. I have also always wanted to learn Spanish both personally and professionally and really wanted this to be something we did together (plus, I have a foundational knowledge here after taking many years myself - maybe because of this, Latin would come more easily than I am thinking?!). I feel like I would maybe want to dive into Latin if we keep going especially after all of the encouragement but am just not sure we can do it this year!! I really love the idea of it but don't want to take on too much...
              A little more back story... even though we moved my son up a grade, he isn't super young because he has a September birthday ( and so, was 4 weeks shy of having started off in this class anyway). He will turn 11 in a little over a month.

Thanks for all the encouragement!!!

I think I need to call MP...
              ~Rachel

Comment

Yes indeed! A phone call will help you get your bearings. Remember to take your limitations to the table as well when talking placement. Even working at-level or a level down can help ease the transition by setting everyone up to experience success. It's ok if some classes are slam dunks. Many texts are appropriate for a range of ages and very, very few things (maybe none?) are locked into a certain age of student. More important is being placed within the curriculum trajectory.

I can promise you that nothing from MP will waste your time! It's all worth knowing. ?
                Festina lentē,
                Jessica P

7th • HLN & Home
                4th • HLN & Home

Comment

Originally posted by Roxydazzle View Post
                  Hi again!

Bean~
                  I am not sure what math level he is in. I was going to start him studying fractions, decimals, percents, ratios etc to make sure he has these down solidly before moving on. Prior to 5th grade, he tested at 97th-99th percentile for everything and nothing lower than 7th grade up to 9th grade (whatever that's worth-we had him tested for our local gifted academy before moving him up a grade). In 5th grade, he was part of an enrichment program in math at his school.
                  Thank you for the suggestion of lesson plan PDFs!

Jessica~
                  I am really not sure what type of teacher I will be. I like organization and tidiness but not complete structure I suppose because I appreciate flexibility and not being completely locked in. I've learned the value of consistency and structure for the sake of my children and seeing how well they do when they know what to expect. I plan to carry this over into their schoolwork. Thank you for asking these very important questions! I had not taken time to think about this... Realizing this helps me understand more one reason why I am hesitant to purchase a full curriculum. The other big reason is that I want to take advantage of the fact that I get to choose curriculum and find what really fits!
                  I feel like I already love this curriculum- the history and richness of it- but I am just not sure that I am ready to start Latin for two reasons... both are self-centered, I suppose. One is that I am busy and committing to homeschooling is already a crazy endeavor that I am taking on. I work full time as a nurse and am just finishing up a program to become a CNM. I need to study for boards and am trying to wrap my head around ALL that is to come. I have also always wanted to learn Spanish both personally and professionally and really wanted this to be something we did together (plus, I have a foundational knowledge here after taking many years myself - maybe because of this, Latin would come more easily than I am thinking?!). I feel like I would maybe want to dive into Latin if we keep going especially after all of the encouragement but am just not sure we can do it this year!! I really love the idea of it but don't want to take on too much...
                  A little more back story... even though we moved my son up a grade, he isn't super young because he has a September birthday ( and so, was 4 weeks shy of having started off in this class anyway). He will turn 11 in a little over a month.

Thanks for all the encouragement!!!

I think I need to call MP...
                  ~Rachel
                  If you are making a pass through Fred with the Fractions and Decimals books as a way to solidify, then moving to something else (with placement test), then I think that is a good plan. Those are the original Fred books and are probably the best of the bunch.

Good luck with your other placement. I agree with the other comments that "grade level" is definitely a range rather than a year with MP. Sometimes I wish they used another system than grade numbers since so many of their subjects are mastery rather than spiral.
                  Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my first cup of tea is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

2021-2022

DD (16) Appling to college. Mostly DE with a little MP to finish up homeschooling.

"School Administrator" to Bonus Kid (9): MP 3A

Comment

Working...
                  X