How to get the ball rolling on the new year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get the ball rolling on the new year

How do you go about starting the school year slowly, and getting the routine down, when all of the subjects are scheduled from the first day? We do not take summers off, so it is not like we are starting school cold. However, we are transitioning to MP 2nd grade, which will obviously mean more work each day than first grade or over the summer. I am just wondering if you complete the first half of DAY1 on your first day and the second half of DAY 1 on your second day, etc, or if there is a better way to get the ball rolling. Thank you so much!!! We are really excited to start!!!

We school around the year, so we just jump right in and do the full day. They usually have that “cracking open new books” enthusiasm on the first day, so I don’t want to waste that. I do start reminding them toward the end of the last level that the next one will be harder.

Blessings,
    Jude
    DD24
    DS21
    DS18
    DS16
    DD14
    DS11
    DD9

Comment

If you don't have a lot of other kids, you can just jump right in to MP2. It's not as full a day as some of the upper grades or as intensive as an older child coming to something new like Latin in 5th grade. I write my schedule on a poster and stick it on the wall, put my books in order, and try not to go off on too many tangents. An experienced parent will have enough negative experiences of answering sidebars to gently avoid them and bring the child's focus back to the lesson. The longer you do this, the better you will get at asking those leading questions that get the child to the answer without answering the question for them. Stick to the script, utilize those TMs, and don't forget to enjoy the experience. Watching your children make connections and synthesize knowledge is one of the pure joys of parenting that I cannot imagine ceding to someone else.
      Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
      Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
      SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

SaintJude7 enbateau Thank you, Ladies! It would be truly lovely to just pick up and roll with the TM! I will plan on that.

Comment

I hope it goes well!!!! One thing we are doing is relegating some subjects to weekend/later in the school year. Finding it overwhelming right now, so we are working on Astronomy and Greek Myths on the weekends until I feel like we are up to speed, rhythm wise, for the rest of 4NU.
          Emily…a hunter who prefers coffee to chocolate and dreams of the mountains

Beech Tree Boarding School, 2021-2022
          DD (age 10): MP 5
          DD (age 8): MP 2
          DS (age 5): MP K
          "Maybe stalking the woods is as vital to the human condition as making music or putting words to paper. Maybe hunting has as much of a claim on our civilized selves as anything else.” Steven Rinella

Comment

Originally posted by Fireweed Prep View Post
            I hope it goes well!!!! One thing we are doing is relegating some subjects to weekend/later in the school year. Finding it overwhelming right now, so we are working on Astronomy and Greek Myths on the weekends until I feel like we are up to speed, rhythm wise, for the rest of 4NU.
            This is what we did, too, with 3A (similar to 4NU with the 1yr pace). I pre-read Christian Studies and Greek Myths sections with my eldest on Sunday afternoon; that way, she could tackle the study guide orally with me in a shorter amount of time and write the answers for the ones that she needed to study for a test. Sometimes I even assigned the Latin DVD for watching on a weekend, too. This is not far off from what HLS does, as they introduce spelling word lists and Latin vocab the Friday before to boost familiarity over the weekend. I haven't decided if we will carve out time on Friday for this or just pick another boring spot in our weekend to briefly introduce those lists.

Frequently, my kiddos would hover around on Sunday evenings as I prepped my whiteboard, asking questions about new states & caps, grammar rules or Latin vocab. They would be so interested, asking a hundred questions....until I turned to face them and started explaining things in detail. As if on cue, they'd run to the safety of Dad, decrying the heresy of doing schoolwork on the Sabbath. But if I ignore them, they might say something like, "Oh! So we're doing feminine nouns this week." (No eye contact) "And the spelling rule is the long a sound." (Hmmm?) "And we're finally getting to the ten plagues!" (Mmm hmmm) "Mom, mom! Are we doing the Southwest this week? Isn't that where X lives?" (Yep.)
            Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
            Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
            SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Working...
            X