More First Form Latin questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More First Form Latin questions

Hi! So I am still trying to figure out how to go about scheduling First Form Latin. Background: I have 10 kids, most with some sort of special needs (autism, FASD, giftedness, ADHD - a lot of ADHD in my house LOL). I have 3 "middle schoolers" who will be doing Latin. In trying to schedule it, I'm looking at the Teacher's guide, and nothing mentions what is on the Instructional DVDs. I know I could just watch them... but 10 kids - not a lot of time. Do we watch that together as the lesson on Day 1, and then do the recitations, etc and workbooks on our own the other days? We do school 4 days a week, and I was hoping to give no more than 30 min to Latin per day. Is this doable? I am OK with taking longer than normal to get through the curriculum, as long as we are making progress. Can anyone give me a rundown of how our days might look with a 4 day week? And how teacher intensive will this be? Is there anything I can give them to do on their own a couple of days? They can normally do workbook pages and the like just fine on their own for other subjects. Thanks for your help!

Hello.

We do have lesson plans for FFL if it would simplify your life. But if you prefer to make your own schedule, my advice would be to teach the lesson on Day 1 (which would be the dvds for you!). Also introduce the vocabulary and new grammar form and begin memorizing them. We have tips for how to conduct all this in the FFL Teacher Manual. Also, you could complete the first page of the workbook that day if time remains. That is generally the grammar questions that have to do with the lesson you have just taught. This is going to be your longest Latin day - 45 mins. to an hour. Day 2, review vocabulary and grammar form and do Worksheets 2-3. Day 3 will be the same - review and finish the workbook pages. Day 4 is your quiz. Each day, start Latin with the recitation which is in the Teacher Manual (you don't need to do the entire recitation each day, just make sure you have completed it all within the course of the week). The Teacher Manual is worth spending some time with. It will really help you to put together your week, so be sure to read all the Teaching Guidelines and the teaching notes around the first few lessons. Once you have a system down, you will see that every week is the same, so it will get very easy. This course is very structured, so once your routine is established, your students will roll right along!

Tanya

Comment

Every Monday, in homes throughout the land, can be heard the familiar cry of the homeschool mother to her offspring: “Be sure to read the text and watch the DVD lesson FIRST!”

Blessings,
      Jude
      DD24
      DS21
      DS18
      DS16
      DD14
      DS11
      DD9

Comment

I just downloaded the lesson plans, and NOW I get it! Thank you for letting me know about that resource! I feel so much better now. Phew! Thank you, thank you!

Comment

Have the Lesson Plans been updated for the second edition? I have the older plans, but we updated to the second edition when I added a student. The workbook sections seem to be numbered differently than in the lesson plans I have and I am trying to figure out whether I need to order new plans or how I need to adjust to make sure we include everything. Thank you.

Comment

Definitely get the new plans. Trying to figure it out made my head hurt. Now, they occasionally toss in a drill Form A-C.
            Mama of 2, teacher of 3
            SY 22/23
            6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim w/ Elementary Greek Year One
            MP2

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
            SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math)

Comment

We do have updated 2nd edition FFL plans. If you bought a curriculum manual with FFL in it or the individual FFL plans, you should have both editions in your downloads. If not, send an email to [email protected] and we will take care of you.

Tanya

Comment

Working...
              X