Apple TV in lieu of overhead projector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple TV in lieu of overhead projector

I have a new project! Inspired by you guys. I can't remember who said it, but when I was asking about overhead projector ideas, someone mentioned using apple tv to mirror my Mac to a tv. I have one of those from years ago that I dug out of moving box, so I reset it to factory settings.

I just finished painting the formal living room for our school room at our new house. I didn't want to drill massive holes into these walls that we just painted just to mount a tv, so I found that they still make mobile tv carts - but for flat tv's now. I had an old tv that I didn't have a place for from the move and built the mobile tv unit and mounted it.

Mobile tv cart + apple tv mirroring = thing of beauty

Disappearing Word Trick:

Now, I'm creating PowerPoint files for all kinds of things - like Bible verses. I create a file per verse, then copy the slide over and over, deleting words by making them match the background of the slide = instant disappearing word session. I won't have to use up precious time re-writing it out on the white board over and over. I created another file with all the verses this year for ongoing review, another with a full Unit studies reviews for Christian studies...

Other applications:
    I realized this screen mirroring is really going to make the classical art pictures pop.
    I pulled up Quizlet, and now I can flash through the cards in presentation mode without fumbling, because I'm clumsy and drop them repeatedly.

Here is a terrible picture - taking a picture of a screen means it looks blue. It's not blue. But you get the idea. It's actually very vibrant.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0323.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	124217
    Attached Files
    Melissa

DS (MP4M) - 10
    DS (MP3A) - 8
    DS (1) - 7
    DD (Adorable distraction) 4

What a fun idea! I always imagined it would be fun to have one of those smart media boards where we could throw up constellations on the screen and connect the dots with our fingers. Ahahaha.

I wonder if you could get a fun game of Latin "Jeopardy" going with that?

We did use TV screen mirroring to enlarge books on Hoopla when all of the libraries were closed. It was the only way I could get the font large enough to read.
    Mama of 2, teacher of 3

SY 21/22
    5A w/ SFL & CC Narrative class
    MP1

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A
    SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

I picked up a document reader for $25 used (someone purchased a Lot from an auction and this was part of it and she didn't need it).

It's an Elmo document camera. It's about 10 years old, but it works a lot like an overhead projector - minus the projector. Instead of projecting onto a screen, I'm going to be attaching a VGA cable to the rolling tv/cart and it will transmit the image digitally, but just like an overhead projector would. I can print the blank constellation charts that MP gives us in the PDF download, and put this page onto the document reader, and draw out the connecting lines while the doc reader blows it up onto the tv. The kids will see my hands and the ruler and all of my moves to draw this out. On the upside, I don't have to find a background screen and deal with the issues the projectors have. Since it's going digitally and directly to a tv, I won't have the ambient lighting issues that overhead projectors have either so all the lights can stay on.
      Melissa

DS (MP4M) - 10
      DS (MP3A) - 8
      DS (1) - 7

Comment

My husband bought me a projector that plugs into my laptop, so I just share the screen. It makes our Latin lessons SO MUCH EASIER. Of course it's more work to create the Power Point, but I can't tell you how much better it makes our lessons. It was around $90, and has been money well spent for us this year! Writing out those Latin declensions and conjugations got to be laborious towards the end of FF and into SF.

I've also been able to put up a few videos related to Ancient Greece and Ancient World, TED talks applicable to our science lessons (Novare Phys Science), and things like that. We use it almost daily for something school-related!

Love your Apple TV idea!
        Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2021-2022:
        11th grade DS: Mix of MP materials, MPOA, and BJU
        9th grade DD: Mostly 9M, MPOA, and French
        7th grade DD: 7M
        5th Grade DD: 5M
        4.5 yo DS: Outside as much as possible beating on things with sticks; MP Jr. K and Mom made fun things

Comment

MamaHill Which one do you have? It didn't occur to me to do Latin PP. But now that you mention it...
          Melissa

DS (MP4M) - 10
          DS (MP3A) - 8
          DS (1) - 7

Comment

Working...
          X