Henle Binding Makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Henle Binding Makeover

MBentley 's recent post has reminded me I'd love to redo the Henle II binding.
    I remember a Sodalitas Latin talk with Tanya, and the story of her son coming back home one day with Henle II "helpfully" broken up in 3 manageable pieces
    Henle II is very thick, and I'm not sure one single coil or comb would be an improvement - has anyone found a good alternative? I'm thinking Tanya's son had the right intuition, that it's more practical to break it up, instead of trying to keep it all together. Would there be a place where it makes sense to separate it? Translations vs. grammar lesson perhaps?
    And what is better, combs or coils?

Thanks!
    DS (16)
    DD (15)
    DS (7)

I had Henle I coil-bound, and it's not pretty - the coil is huge. However, it is much more manageable, and my daughter loved it.
    Last edited by jenniferjb; 08-13-2020, 06:25 PM. Reason: Grammar
    DD 17 | 12th
    DS 15 | 9th
    DD 13 | 8th
    2021-2022

13th Year HSing, 9th Year MP

Comment

Yes, my son did "help" himself to a fix with Henle II. We do coil bind them in-house for our students now, and it is much preferable. I have attempted to get Loyola to change the binding or to sell us the rights to print it so that we could fix this problem, but I've been trying for 10 years now without success.

So I agree that getting it coil-bound is worth your money! It is so frustrating when your book won't stay open!

Tanya

Comment

I coil bound henle 1along with having the front and back covers hard laminated. I would not have wanted it split up into separate chunks as I have trouble keeping track of one book. I just wanted the thing to sit flat and stay open. I never got around to working on Henle 2, but my daughter didn’t complain as much.

Click image for larger version

Name:	368262FF-4835-43D2-8E4A-DCC4F336CEEC.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	124267
        Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
        15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
        DD College Freshman
        DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
        DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
        DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
          I coil bound henle 1along with having the front and back covers hard laminated. I would not have wanted it split up into separate chunks as I have trouble keeping track of one book. I just wanted the thing to sit flat and stay open. I never got around to working on Henle 2, but my daughter didn’t complain as much.

This is what our Henle looks like too.
          Bean. Long time MP user. Almost retired homeschool mom and university faculty/ librarian. Teaching a "Children's Lit for Educators" class this semester!

I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD (16) Graduating May 2022!
          Mechanical Engineering

"School Administrator" to niece (9): MP 3A

Comment

We're definitely HGTV: Bookbinders over here.
            21/22 - 4th MP Year, Dad & Quadrivium Teacher
            S - 8, 2nd MP @ HLN & Home
            D - 6, K MP @ HLN & Home
            S - 4, Jr K MP @ Home

Comment

I coil bound henle 1along with having the front and back covers hard laminated.

What do you mean by having the front and back covers hard laminated? Are you just putting them through a laminator, or are you including something to increase the hardening and give it more structure?

Super curious.
              Melissa

DS (MP4M) - 10
              DS (MP3A) - 8
              DS (1) - 7
              DD (Adorable distraction) 4

Comment

Originally posted by MBentley View Post

What do you mean by having the front and back covers hard laminated? Are you just putting them through a laminator, or are you including something to increase the hardening and give it more structure?

Super curious.
                I'm curious too, my guess is that it's just laminated, and it's enough to avoid floppiness. Or maybe a hard cardboard backing could be added before the back cover... I think reinforcements are a good idea for huge books like that!
                DS (16)
                DD (15)
                DS (7)

Comment

Originally posted by MBentley View Post

Super curious.
                  The covers don’t have any material added to them, but the are not bendable. Hard laminating refers to the thickness of the laminating material and how rigid a product it produces. I have it done at FedEx/Kinko’s because my home laminator can’t handle the thickness of the laminating material.
                  Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
                  15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
                  DD College Freshman
                  DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
                  DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
                  DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

The covers don’t have any material added to them, but the are not bendable. Hard laminating refers to the thickness of the laminating material and how rigid a product it produces. I have it done at FedEx/Kinko’s because my home laminator can’t handle the thickness of the laminating material.
                    Thank you for the tip, I didn't know there were thickness options.
                    DS (16)
                    DD (15)
                    DS (7)

Comment

Working...
                    X