States and Capitals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

States and Capitals

I am looking at the 3rd grade curriculum manual and comparing it to the teaching guidelines at the beginning of the States and Capitals teacher guide. The teacher guide says to cover about 2-3 states per week so that you cover all of them in 3rd grade. The manual has you covering only one per week and getting only half way through. Which is correct? If we only cover half, does the 4th grade manual match? To me it seems to make more sense to cover all of it in one year, but I would like to hear the thoughts of others who have completed it (either 1 or 2 years). Thanks!

My son did them in one year in 4NU. Now my daughter in 3rd is doing it at the 2 year pace and honestly it’s so slow she’s forgetting the earlier weeks! We’re going to do it in one year, and then I think in 4th she’ll do the US review and a state history unit

Comment

It was written to do in one year. 3rd accelerated and 4th New User so it in one year. If you have regular 3rd, they will only do half of that book and a few others too (Latin, Myths, CS 1, EGR1). Then they will finish those books in 4th. That is why there is a 4th New User- for those who didn’t do the first half of those books in 3rd. 4NU does them all in one year so by the end of the year they are caught up with all the other 4th graders.
      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
      DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
      DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
      DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
      (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
      DS, 21, Physics and math major
      DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
      DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
      DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Originally posted by Nannette Jenkins View Post
        My son did them in one year in 4NU. Now my daughter in 3rd is doing it at the 2 year pace and honestly it’s so slow she’s forgetting the earlier weeks! We’re going to do it in one year, and then I think in 4th she’ll do the US review and a state history unit
        I was thinking that it would drag out to long doing it for two years and then reviewing it all on year three. I want to make sure she has a solid grasp on it, but it did seem to long.

Comment

Don't worry, by the end of the one-year pace, it's just as easy to forget everything learned in the first weeks. Slow and steady wins the race. Push it into the long-term memory through constant review.
          Mama of 2, teacher of 3
          SY 22/23
          6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim w/ Elementary Greek Year One
          MP2

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
          SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math)

Comment

I have a slower-learning incoming 3rd grader, and an academically sharper 2nd grader, but he’s a dreamer. Do you think I’d be able to combine these two boys for S&C on the two year plan this school year? Should I wait until they are in 4th/3rd and do the one year plan?

my walls would be too busy if we did S and C separately for these boy, one year after another.

we already have the books for them, I think I just have the jitters ?
            -Victoria

at home:
            boy - 3rd grade
            boy - 2nd grade
            boy - k/1st
            girl - toddler

Comment

Hi, Tulip.

I think the 2-year plan will work nicely. It sounds like a slower pace might benefit your students. We require students to learn to spell the states, but not the capitals, so that will help. And I don't know that your 2nd grader will be able to learn to spell the states, but take it at his pace. If he can learn all the capitals orally and the locations, you can always master the spelling the next year. As a homeschooler, you can take our guided instructions and make them your own!

Tanya

Comment

Tulip,
                Just another thought, I don't see any reason the s and c book necessarily has to be completed from beginning to end. You could start this year with your 3rd grader on the two year pace and then the next year have your younger child jump in on the second half of the book. When your younger one is in 4th grade they would be going back and doing the first half of the book.
                2022/2023
                6A
                4M
                ​​​​​​2
                K lite
                ​With a 2 year old and baby tag along

Comment

Thanks so much for the input, and pointing out spelling for the state name only, I missed that part! My 2nd grader can handle learning that. Looks like the plan is both kids in the 2 year is the way we’ll go!

Ect876- yes I thought about starting with J and the having my next son A hop on next year, going round robin the following year. It sounds doable...except I know I’d confuse myself. This is my first year using a full curriculum. Coming from a Charlotte Mason / unschooling approach, I am fighting myself to actively NOT make adjustments to the curriculum. Plus, I’m making “tag along” packets for content studies for my younger two, so I don’t want to spend more than two academic year on a subject.

thanks, all!
                  -Victoria

at home:
                  boy - 3rd grade
                  boy - 2nd grade
                  boy - k/1st
                  girl - toddler

Comment

Working...
                  X