New to First Form Latin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to First Form Latin

Hi all! We are new to Latin - completely new, except for hubby who remembers pretty much nothing from high school... LOL So I have First Form Latin, and the very first thing I'm supposed to say to my kids is "Salvete, amici Latinae," and they're supposed to respond with, "Salve, magistra." HOW do you pronounce this? I was really hoping the CD would have it, but no. Maybe it's on the DVDs that I haven't started looking through??? I tried Google Translate, but it's putting a long "o" sound before the "m" in "magistra." Bah! Help! Thanks!

Originally posted by mateosbaby View Post
    Hi all! We are new to Latin - completely new, except for hubby who remembers pretty much nothing from high school... LOL So I have First Form Latin, and the very first thing I'm supposed to say to my kids is "Salvete, amici Latinae," and they're supposed to respond with, "Salve, magistra." HOW do you pronounce this? I was really hoping the CD would have it, but no. Maybe it's on the DVDs that I haven't started looking through??? I tried Google Translate, but it's putting a long "o" sound before the "m" in "magistra." Bah! Help! Thanks!
    Phonetically: Sal-vay-tay Ah-mee-chee la-tee-nay/sal-vay ma-jee-stra

It is on the DVD so don't worry!

There is also a pronunciation guide in the teachers manual and student book that covers the vowel sounds and other variances in Latin, but there's really not too many.
    ​​​​​.
    Good luck as you begin!
    Tracy
    My boys: JR, Riley, and Jack
    MP 8A, 7A, and MP2

Comment

Thank you! That helps so much! And I'm glad it's on the DVDs! LOL

Comment

Make sure to look through that Teacher’s Manual pretty thoroughly - front to back, because there is a ton of helpful information in it...such as the pronunciation lesson, the lists of vocabulary by lesson number (which can make drilling your kids a snap!), grammar lessons and drill questions (which you also need to be helping your kids master), etc. It took me until my second time through it to realize everything that was there!

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 17
        DD, 15
        DD, 13
        DD, 11
        DD, 9
        DD, 7
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

Oh, good to know! Thank you! I started previewing DVD #1 last night, but I'm pretty sure I did not thoroughly examine every page of the Teacher's Manual yet.

Comment

Working...
          X