Second Grade Literature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second Grade Literature

In second grade, do the children only read the literature twice for there lessons, not three times?

We recommend students read selections 3 times. The first reading is for decoding, the second for building speed and fluency and the third for adding expression. By middle to end of second grade, students can often combine the second and third oral readings leaving the third reading as a silent re-reading.

Comment

Michelle T Thank you! That was why I was asking! I didn't see the third reading listed in the guide; I must have missed it. Will do. THANK YOU!!!

Comment

I’m just going to throw it out there for those whose time is constrained by having multiple children in multiple grade levels (or babies and toddlers) that, of the five of my children that used the MP second grade literature guides, NONE of them read the selections three times. Actually, they normally did not read the selections aloud at all. I never put a child into second grade who was not reading fluently, because I could count on having a kindergartener the same year. I also did not “model” answers. They read the selections and answered the questions on their own. I corrected their work, and good books were a routine subject of discussion within the family. Sometimes during read-aloud time I would have them read to me for a bit, but it was very catch-as-catch-can. This did not cause any problems in their education.

Blessings,
        Jude
        DD23
        DS20
        DS18
        DS15
        DD13
        DS11
        DD8

Comment

Working...
        X