Math help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Math help

I am trying to place my daughter (rising 6th grader) in a math program. She picks up math easily, and is coming from public school. I have access to Saxon and CTC math, but neither seem to be a good fit for her. She prefers to use something where she can read, rather than watching a video, and Saxon just doesn't appeal to her. Any other suggestions? Once upon a time, my son used Teaching Textbooks and Rightstart, but I think both are too "busy" for her. I remember she really disliked RS when she used it in 1st grade. I'm wondering if something like R&S or CLE might work better? Or something else I'm not considering?

Memoria Press certainly recommends R&S Math, and has lesson plans for it, but if you're new to it, I would recommend a placement test to make sure R&S 6 is the right fit. I think milestonebooks.com may have book samples.
    I have used Singapore Math Standards Edition with my kids.
    DS (14)
    DD (13)
    DS (6)

Comment

Once you get past 6th grade math, the older MP texts for pre-algebra, algebra, algebra 2 and geometry are great. Simply texts you can teach from and problems to work. No video to each unless you wish to add that. The newer MP plans use Videotext which only has video teaching option.
      I’d consider using Rod & Staff 6 this year for a year old solid arithmetic followed by College of the Redwoods prealgebra in 7th and the Prentice Hall books for algebra 1 and 2. MP still sells the lesson plans and test book although the texts are out of print.
      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
      DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
      DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
      DS, 21, chemistry major
      DS, 18, Physics major
      DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
      DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
      DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

I would definitely give R&S a try. Starting with the 4th grade book, the lesson is written out directly to the student in the student book. For kids who are good at math, this explanation can often be all they need to understand the material and get started on their work. My kids have all thrived with it - from those who love math even to those who simply put up with it.

AMDG,
        Sarah

2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 16
        DD, 14
        DD, 12
        DD, 10
        DD, 8
        DD, 6
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

I went with R&S. I think she'll go through the 6th grade materials pretty quickly, so we'll just move on to something else after that.

Comment

Working...
          X