Latina Christiana II? First Form Latin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latina Christiana II? First Form Latin?

I have Latina Christiana 2. My son is currently doing LC1. I would like to use the materials that I have, if possible.

When he finishes LC1, should I skip LC2 and go on to First Form Latin, as per the current curriculum? If we use LC2, where do we go from there?

Thank you,

Natalie

If you mean the second half of Latina Chriana at a 2-year pace, then you should finish the second half of the course next year. You will have everythingyou need to finish it for next year. Alternatively, you could accelerate the entire course to a one-year pace if you are desiring to finish more quickly. After LC, a student moves on to First Form Latin. Upon finishing the entire LC course, your student will be very well prepared for tackling FFL.

I would want to see mastery of the material of LC before I put a child in First Form Latin, and ideally I would want to have a year of English Grammar Recitation I under that student's belt.
    Mama to 2

Summer:
    MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
    SY 20/21
    4A

Comment

I believe you are talking about the old editions of LC before the Forms were published. If you do LC 2 you will have covered much but not all of First Form. You could either move from LC 2 to First Form and have it be mostly review which seems in essence to “waste” a year but gets in more review. You could also use a special supplement MP used to offer that is a bridge unit between LC 2 and Second Form that covers the material missed from First Form. This would allow you to use what you have and keep going with the Forms without much overlap. There is so much beauty in First Form though in how it is organized and taught. I feel the material is much easier mastered with First Form than with an LC 1 and 2 combo with the bridge unit. You might find also as you go along in Forms that you wish you had First Form for easy reference later on. If you have more students coming up it would be wise to invest in First Form. If this is your last student, you could get by with LC 2 and the bridge unit (if MP even still offers this???), but it wouldn’t be the ideal path.
      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
      DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
      DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
      DS, 21, chemistry major
      DS, 18, Physics major
      DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
      DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
      DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Natalie,

I would recommend that you skip LC2 and move directly to FFL. We have had a much better success rate with FFL. We figured out how the material needs to be presented in a good order so that students understand it easily in FFL. That was missing in LC2. People always hit a wall toward the middle of the book. That does not happen with FFL. It will also help you to transition the following year. It is difficult to transition from LC2 into SFL. You will be missing some important pieces.

Tanya

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X