Advanced 5th Grader Need help with Science Path

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advanced 5th Grader Need help with Science Path

Hello! I'm new to posting so I hope I do this right!

I have an advanced 5th grader. He will be 11 and taking Art of Problem Solving's Intro to Algebra this fall. He has a firm grasp on mathematical concepts as well as science concepts (chem/Physics). (Not sure if it makes a difference, but our local college will allow him to start taking classes at age 14. Our current plan is for him to take the math and science there when he is old enough - or mature enough 😉 ) He has always been interested in Astronomy - we've pretty much exhausted all of our options until we have more advanced math. I do have the Tiner Astronomy that we could use this year, but his main interest is Physics.

My question is, would it be too much for him to do the Novare Physical Science? That level of Middle School science is fairly new to me. I don't want to over work him, but I also don't want him bored either. Any other suggestions? I don't want to overwork him, he is 11 after all, but he really does enjoy math and science.

I hope this all makes sense.
    Thanks,
    Anna

My step brother was like that. He bought massive math textbooks just to read and...gasp...enjoy. He worked on some guidance systems for the Space X launch recently. I say go get 'em! With precocious kids like that, they can tell you right away whether they understand it, sometimes even asking for books they need to complement it.
    Mama to 2

Summer:
    MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
    SY 20/21
    4A

Comment

My son did that text in 6th just without the quizzes and labs. He then did Trees/Bio in 7th and will do Introductory Physics this year in 8th. He took algebra 1 in 7th. Your son sounds about a year ahead of that. His math sounds just right for physical science. My son could have easily done physical science in 5th. We did Novare earth science in 5th because that matched the topic of our co-op.
      If your son does very well with algebra 1 in 6th, he could do Introductory physics in 7th and biology in 8th followed by advanced Chem in 9th and trig physics in 10th and then college level science in 11-12. I had two sons do basically that. One took Prentice Hall physical science in 7th (Which is a very similar level to introductory physics or advanced studies in chemistry and physics) then went to public and took honors bio in 8th. He is now a PhD student at Washington University for chemistry. Another took that same physical science in 7th and Did honors bio through Kolbe academy in 8th. He then did honors chem and honors physics and then took an easy year and sis astronomy in 11th and then did college General Chemistry in 12th. He is now a dual math and physics major hoping to go into astrophysics.
      long story to say- given a motivated student who is going to be taking pre-algebra, he should do fine with Novare Physical Science in 5th!
      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
      DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
      DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
      DS, 21, chemistry major
      DS, 18, Physics major
      DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
      DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
      DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Moderators- please delete my previous post. The edit button disappeared for me already.
        Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my coffee is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD 10th: Aerospace enthusiast. All AP & dual enrollment courses for 20-21.

Comment

I think I did it, Bean! Let me know if I failed. This isn't my area of expertise!

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
            I think I did it, Bean! Let me know if I failed. This isn't my area of expertise!
            Yes, perfectly deleted.

Thanks!
            Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my coffee is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD 10th: Aerospace enthusiast. All AP & dual enrollment courses for 20-21.

Comment

You might want to take a cue from MPOA's Middle School Science I and Middle School Science II texts:

https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...nline-academy/
              https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...nline-academy/

As you'll see in MSSII, there is a Tiner text for Physics.

From a conversation with MPOA, the main difference with Middle School Science is its historical and integrated approach, as you'll see from the Tiner physics text description:

They are excellent introductions to the people and places central to the planet earth, the history of medicine, chemistry, mathematics, and physics.
              That might appeal to your son. If you paced it similarly to MPOA, that would mean:

5th -> Modified MSS I (Tiner texts)
              6th -> Modified MSS II (Tiner texts)
              7th -> Earth Science (Novare)
              8th -> Physical Science (Novare)

Take it with a grain of salt as we are new to MP (and homeschooling in general), so by no means curriculum experts.

Comment

Here's a post I stumbled upon that might interest you:

https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...918#post122918

Comment

Mainly for fun, Life of Fred Physics. My kids love all of the Life of Fred books. The author weaves in facts from so many subject areas.

Blessings,
                  Jude
                  DD23
                  DS20
                  DS18
                  DS15
                  DD13
                  DS11
                  DD8

Comment

Working...
                  X