Prima readiness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prima readiness

I remember a past post asking if Prima could be completed orally in 2nd but can't seem to find it.
    I have twin second graders who are on level and doing great for everything with the exception of one twin who is lagging behind in reading, spelling, and penmanship due to an vision issue that we finally figured out last December. While she is improving and slowly catching up, I question if she is ready for work in the Prima program. My original plan was to just hold off both girls until 3rd for Latin studies, but wondering if going through Prima mostly orally would still benefit, or should we just wait and do the program with the workbook next year, or just skip it all together and start with LC next year?
    Katie

2020/21 7th year with MP
    DS 16: 11th, MPOA, HSC, Dual Enrolled
    DD 13: 9th, MPOA Diploma Program
    DD 9: mix of MP 5, Seton, HSC, MPOA Latin,
    Twin DD's 7: mix of MP 2, Seton

Hi Katie!

HLN actually waits until 3rd for Prima, so I think you’d be fine just waiting. That will give her time to solidify phonics before having to learn new sound/letter combinations, even orally. They could do LC in 4th and then the Forms. Or you could just skip Prima and do LC — but I happen to love Prima so I’d be more inclined to keep it
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
    DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
    DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
    DS11: SC 4
    DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
    DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
    DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

I would wait on Latin if you are still working on reading. There is plenty of time!
      Dorinda

For 2019-2020
      DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
      DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
      DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
      DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Thanks, Jen. I didn't realize HLN waited until 3rd. I'd rather do LC in one year instead of two and would prefer to start the Forms in 5th.. so this works out better. I should have trusted my inclination to wait but it is a true work for me to not be a slave to the CM!
        Katie

2020/21 7th year with MP

Comment

Yes! We just hold off until 3rd and then do Prima in one year and Latina Christiana the following year (4th, one year plans). One thing you might also consider is slowing down your grammar sequence so that you have English Grammar Recitation 1 with Latina Christiana.

When there is only one day of the teacher instruction it helps to have the student be a tiny bit older. Plus, taking the long view, my rising 11th grader started Prima in 3rd grade. Ha! He's doing just fine with Latin translation in high school. ✅ No rush.
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

2020-2021
          11th year HSing · 9th year MP
          @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
          11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Yes, my middle girl completed EGR 1 with LC this past year. I do try to keep grammar lined up with Latin. It's so helpful! We are getting a head start on the memorization of the rules this year just using the green book and reciting one grammar rule and one cap/endmark rule each week. I'm just tossing it in with the rest of their memory work. I figure it can't hurt and it also is serving as review for my FF child this year.
            Katie

2020/21 7th year with MP

Comment

Just chiming in to add the acronym memory trick we created for the capitalization rules 1-10 as you roll into review for EGR II.

We say: 1st--God--Family, TCC, TLQP (they all rhyme with an EE sound at the end)

Then we give the keyword for each of the TCC TLQP acronyms: titles, calendar, compass, titles of people, letters, quotes, proper nouns & adjectives

We also kept up Latin and EGR rules once a week this summer. And as we start back in 2 weeks, I've ramped up the EGR review to daily. I'm glad FFL is mostly review of LC toward the end so that the grammar can be the concept mastered, not the words. It's brilliant.
              Mama to 2

Summer:
              MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
              SY 20/21
              4A

Comment

Working...
              X