Latin gap year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latin gap year?

DS12 was very sick for a long while this past school year. After brain surgery and radiation he’s better now, thank God, but despite our efforts to catch up over the summer, he is still a unit short of completing Third Form as his 7th grade year is about to begin. We’re trying to decide what to do now.

I’m nervous about just continuing in Third Form this fall and moving to Fourth whenever he finishes, regardless of where that is in the school year – I don’t feel up to teaching him Fourth myself and was planning to rely on MPOA for that.

This kid is also excited to take Greek. So my question is, can we concentrate on Greek this year and take a gap year of sorts in Latin? Can we finish up Third Form and just drill (grammar, recitation, vocab) the rest of the year, and move to Fourth Form next fall?

If there's a better option, I'm all ears. Thanks.
    Amy (in Maryland)
    DS15, 10th
    DS12, 7th
    DS8, 3rd

Sounds like you have a great plan. Slow and steady through the rest of Third Form, maybe toss in some translation along the way if you need filler. Has he done Lingua Angelica or Lingua Biblica?

Blessings,
    Jude

Comment

Hello.

I think it's fine to go ahead and start Greek, but I wouldn't drop Latin or it will be really difficult to pick back up. How would you feel about going back and doing the Unit Reviews in TFL (at whatever pace you would like) and then finishing up the last unit? That way, your son will be continuing to dip his feet into Latin, retain the vocabulary and grammar forms, and it won't be a shock to move into 4FL the following year. Just my two cents! Feel free to ignore ...

Tanya

Comment

Also MPOA Fourth Form, I've been told, actually starts in the last few lessons of Third Form because they don’t actually finish Third Form in the Third Form MPOA. Is that true? If so, you might actually be ready for Fourth Form MPOA this year.
        Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
        DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
        DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
        DS, 21, chemistry major
        DS, 18, Physics major
        DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
        DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
        DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

When my daughter and son took third form with MPOA they both finished the entire book. I believe there was a problem this year when my son started fourth form that kids coming from the lesson plans in the curriculum guide because those had been changed to not cover the entire book. I don’t remember how it was handled. Third form is huge, but it isn’t like there is lots of extra time in fourth either. I would be curious to hear how the plans are laid out in the curriculum guide since my third child still has two units left in third form.
          Dorinda

For 2019-2020
          DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
          DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
          DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
          DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

As usually my mind was jumbled up. It’s the *homeschool* lesson plans that don’t finish Third Form and finish Third Form in the Fourth Form lesson plans. I know many people, including us, who are switching to MPOA for Fourth. I’m not sure how that plays out. We actually finished Third Form but it took us two years and now I want someone else teaching Fourth. Others who directly followed the lesson plans won’t have finished some of Third Form so I do t know if MPOA backtracks or not. Here is the post where I originally stated this question. Somewhere along the line, I though I was told MPOA adjusted, but that may just be my imagination which tends to insert itself into reality way too much lately! https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...n-plans-change
            Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
            DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
            DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
            DS, 21, chemistry major
            DS, 18, Physics major
            DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
            DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
            DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

I don’t have an up to date curriculum guide. Do you know how far the plans go into third form? My son was pretty sure that his teacher just had them finish on their own (maybe just doing the last review lesson) and everyone continued on with the class.
              Dorinda

For 2019-2020
              DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
              DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
              DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
              DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                I don’t have an up to date curriculum guide. Do you know how far the plans go into third form? My son was pretty sure that his teacher just had them finish on their own (maybe just doing the last review lesson) and everyone continued on with the class.
                In my Fourth Form lesson plan, Week 5 goes back to Third Form to do Lesson 29, and Week 6 does Lesson 31. I guess Lesson 30 is never scheduled. I finished Third Form when we started it, because it didn't make sense to put it away unfinished and take it back out, so we did all these lessons as they happened.
                The Fourth Form lesson plan does not finish Fourth Form itself either: it goes until Lesson 27, and then schedules a modified Final Exam (the Unit V test is not done.) What I've always heard is that most, if not all, of Unit V is repeated in Henle II, so if time is short those lessons can be skipped.
                DS (14)
                DD (13)
                DS (6)

Comment

Just posting a comment here to keep an eye on this thread. ✅
                  Festina lentē,
                  Jessica P

2020-2021
                  11th year HSing · 9th year MP
                  @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
                  11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Mrs. Bee is correct. The lesson plans for TFL skip lessons 29 & 31, which are covered in 4FL. Lesson 30 is covered in TFL. Then, in 4FL, lessons 29 & 31 are scheduled, but not the first couple of weeks. They are inserted where they fit well. For 4FL, we don't cover a couple of the chapters at the end because we run out of time. But these are concepts students will see in Henle II.

Tanya

Comment

That's correct that the verbs in the final lessons are thoroughly covered in Henle II. Only malo is not taught, probably because Caesar only occasionally uses a form of malo. It doesn't appear in the Henle II Caesar readings or the AP Caesar readings. But malo forms are so similar to those of volo, nolo that it is easy to learn malo alongside volo, nolo, and then recognize it later in the Cicero year.

Bonnie

Comment

Working...
                      X