Novare Physical Science Labs - cross posted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Novare Physical Science Labs - cross posted

Hello. I also posted this on the Facebook group, as some people come here and others go there. I'm looking for a place to purchase all of the necessary experiment materials at one time for the Novare Physical Science text. Anyone have luck finding a source? Willing to spend a bit of money to save time and headaches! Alternatively, did you just do some of the experiments or use alternative experiments? After reading through them, I think our two boys would really enjoy them, so I don't mind investing the time and energy into the experiments, but I don't like shopping for materials!

Thanks!

Edit - I just found that Novare has posted YouTube videos for experiments 1, 8 and 9. These are the most difficult / detailed experiments, so I'm wondering if we just watch the videos for these and try to do the rest. That being said, as we get further along in science, we need to get used to doing experiments!
    Last edited by Nikkirxd; 07-10-2020, 09:45 AM.
    Nicole - mom - Doctor of Pharmacy, UMKC 2002, M.S. Bioethics, 2020, Univ. of Mary.
    2020/2021 - 4th year homeschooling and with MP
    DS - 7th
    DS - 6th

I am struggling with this also - science/math background, but really intimidated assembling these labs in my home. I looked into the company that produces Novare, who will sell you the most difficult materials to buy, but apparently they are Canadian and won't ship to American addresses! (If someone has found that kit for US, please let me know.) So instead I found a homeschool science provider who sells kits for generic middle school physical science experiements which seem to be more "experiment" and less "demonstration", as the author desires. I plan on attempting to teach the documentation of the experiment like Novare does - but with the other materials. Hoping this works. Thanks for the tip on the Youtube videos - I hadn't found that!

Comment

One of the goals of experiments (more at the intro physics level than physical science though) is learning to analyze data and write a lab report. It’s as much about how to handle data as how to gather it. Watching the labs would be totally fine at that level.
      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
      DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
      DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
      DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
      (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
      DS, 20, Physics major
      DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
      DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
      DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        I am struggling with this also - science/math background, but really intimidated assembling these labs in my home. I looked into the company that produces Novare, who will sell you the most difficult materials to buy, but apparently they are Canadian and won't ship to American addresses! (If someone has found that kit for US, please let me know.) So instead I found a homeschool science provider who sells kits for generic middle school physical science experiements which seem to be more "experiment" and less "demonstration", as the author desires. I plan on attempting to teach the documentation of the experiment like Novare does - but with the other materials. Hoping this works. Thanks for the tip on the Youtube videos - I hadn't found that!
        Home Science Tools sells kits for Novare!
        DS, 20, Physics major

Comment

Novare kits: https://www.homesciencetools.com/sci...m-kits/novare/
          DS, 20, Physics major

Comment

My daughter just finished Physical Science in the MPOA, and while she did experiments at home, the supplies were often things that we already had around the house. The only things I remember having to buy were copper wires and a lantern battery.

I wonder if we could reach out to pschaeffer and ask if we could have some sort of document from the teachers there, for ideas for homeschoolers who are doing this at home, and feedback on which experiments are most important, what are the important things to know, etc. For my daughter, one of the big things she's learning is how to write lab reports -- what sorts of things need to be included, how to say it, how to record results, etc.

I think HST has amazing quality items, but $300 is a significant chunk.
            Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
            DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy - equestrian
            DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
            DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
            DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School -equestrian
            DS6 - 7 - MP 1 - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

We also had the experience of using MPOA for Physical Science and were grateful that the selection of experiments to do only used household items (for the most part, as Dianna said). Then when our daughter did Chemistry with MPOA, many of those labs were virtual. The emphasis clearly was on collecting the data, analyzing it, drawing conclusions, and writing those up in a simple lab report. My next one down did physical science in 8th grade and is not counting it for high school credit so I did not worry about the experiments. For Chemistry, he is completing it in his own, and we have a set from of general chemistry experiments from Home Science Tools that we are going to work on in the coming weeks, again with the emphasis being that he learn to write up a lab report. The guide that came with the set even walks the child through that process, getting more advanced with each successive experiment in the guide. Our plan is to do 5-7 of the experiments and call it “good.”

All told, these experiences doing high school level science classes through MPOA really helped ease my mind A LOT about what we needed to achieve at home. I had worried a lot about being able to homeschool for high school - and a big chunk of that worry was the feasibility of doing experiments. I now realize that most of that worry was unfounded. You really can do this, and you don’t have to spend a ton of money on it!

AMDG,
              Sarah
              2020-2021
              16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
              DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
              DS, 17
              DD, 15
              DD, 13
              DD, 11
              DD, 9
              DD, 7
              +DS+