You CAN do MP your way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You CAN do MP your way.

Has anyone else been coming across this situation? In the last few years, many of the new-to-homeschooling or considering-a-new-curriculum parents I meet seem to have the impression that Memoria Press is ONLY for those who want to recreate the full “school at home” experience. While MP does offer curriculum manuals that increasingly seem geared toward that setting (tests, quizzes, flash cards, recitation, pages such as “Standards for Excellent Teaching in the Classroom”), it might be nice to re-emphasize the ability to tailor the materials toward the model of education that suits your family situation.

I think MP materials can also be used by the family that wants the best resources in a mostly unschooling setting or the family that is just covering the bare bones until life gets back to normal. It’s for the parent who worries what college professors at a selective university will expect and the parent who doesn’t particularly care if her children go to college, but wants a solid education. It’s for the student who may read Vergil in Latin and the student who can maybe get a little more out The Hobbit with a study guide. People come at education from a lot of angles, and curriculum is not set in stone.

Blessings,
    Jude
    DD24
    DS21
    DS18
    DS16
    DD14
    DS11
    DD9

Amen, Jude. I like this thread.

Tanya

Comment

That’s one of the huge benefits of Sodalitas. We are shown the overarching vision, the why and what of what we’re setting out to do. But we are also shown — by our fellow parents — what that might look like in different families and situations.
      Jennifer
      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS17: MP, MPOA, HSC
      DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC
      DS14: MP, MPOA
      DS12: Finishing SC 4 >> Moving on to mix of SC 5/6 & 7/8
      DD10: Finishing 3A >> Moving on to miix of 5M and SC7/8
      DD8: SC3
      DD6: MPK

Comment

I agree about the lit guides. I've been teaching analysis and comprehension of texts (whether the Bible in Sunday School, literature at school, or stories I read to my children at home) for almost 15 years running. I am always amazed at the questions I wouldn't have thought to ask in MP guides. In particular, I have appreciated how thoughtful the Enrichment guide questions are for young learners in K-2 (and Jr. K, just in the Curriculum Manual). I like to read the Enrichment week's book through a few times and ask anything that stands out to me. Friday, I go through and see whether there was anything I missed. There always is, and that makes the whole thing worth it, even for those of us who love to study a good book.
        Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
        Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
        SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Amen! Thank you for this reminder! ♥️

Comment

Originally posted by SaintJude7 View Post
            Has anyone else been coming across this situation? In the last few years, many of the new-to-homeschooling or considering-a-new-curriculum parents I meet seem to have the impression that Memoria Press is ONLY for those who want to recreate the full “school at home” experience. While MP does offer curriculum manuals that increasingly seem geared toward that setting (tests, quizzes, flash cards, recitation, pages such as “Standards for Excellent Teaching in the Classroom”), it might be nice to re-emphasize the ability to tailor the materials toward the model of education that suits your family situation.

I think MP materials can also be used by the family that wants the best resources in a mostly unschooling setting or the family that is just covering the bare bones until life gets back to normal. It’s for the parent who worries what college professors at a selective university will expect and the parent who doesn’t particularly care if her children go to college, but wants a solid education. It’s for the student who may read Vergil in Latin and the student who can maybe get a little more out The Hobbit with a study guide. People come at education from a lot of angles, and curriculum is not set in stone.

Blessings,
            Jude
            Please come to Louisville one day ---- because you and I will be friends.

I'm helping with the Primary Overview tomorrow, and MUCH of my presentation is --- "Here's how we do it at home." We do not do every single problem. We flex to meet our family's needs. We shift things around. But yet, I still consider us a staunch MP family. I always say, "They haven't revoked my card yet." We firmly believe in the value of classical education, and we follow that model. We're just a little more relaxed about it.
            Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
            DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy - equestrian
            DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
            DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
            DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School -equestrian
            DS6 - 7 - MP 1 - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post

Please come to Louisville one day ---- because you and I will be friends.

I'm helping with the Primary Overview tomorrow, and MUCH of my presentation is --- "Here's how we do it at home." We do not do every single problem. We flex to meet our family's needs. We shift things around. But yet, I still consider us a staunch MP family. I always say, "They haven't revoked my card yet." We firmly believe in the value of classical education, and we follow that model. We're just a little more relaxed about it.
              I consider us a MP family, but we don’t try to be HLS at home and Tanya hasn’t revoked my card either ;-). Thank goodness! If I could send my child to HLS I would consider it, I can’t do everything as one person that a teacher for each level with no distractions and who knows the material can do, but I enjoy the other benefits of homeschooling and I am thankful that MP exists to help us out on our journey. I do agree that there is much, much more to Memoria Press than just the cores.
              Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
              15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
              DD College Freshman
              DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
              DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
              DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

I agree!!! I use some Memoria Press materials with other curriculum in my homeschool. Every family is unique!
                Kristi
                DS 13 (8th grade)

Comment

Working...
                X