Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oral vs. Written

Hello,

My daughter is beginning 5th grade, and after completing MP 4 I'm wondering if I'm requiring enough written answers. We go through CS II, literature, and Famous Men orally, and then I assign 2-3 per subject for her to go back and write in answers. She is filling in all answers for Insects. She can write well if I require IEW dress-ups (which I do for Narrative), but her student guide answers are very bare-bones. Thoughts?

Thank you!
    Heather
    9th year homeschooling, 3rd year with MP
    Girl 6M
    Girl 3M
    Girl MPK
    Girl toddler

Levels we have completed: Preschool, Jr. K, 1, 2, 4NU, 5

I would say, instead of having her go back and write two to three answers afterwards....I would have her write those answers immediately as you go through the guide. Work with her to come up with a good, acceptable answer together. Then, have her write that answer. I would say move towards the goal of having her write more answers by the end of 5th.
    DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
    DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
    DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

Your daughter sounds like my son, who just finished 5th. "Yes, that's technically correct, but tell me MORE!" I'm actually having him pause CC to do a few IEW units in order to learn to elaborate.

Also, if I ask for an answer orally, it's a COMPLETELY different answer than what he writes. He seems to want to physically write the least amount possible.

That said, the AMOUNT of writing sounds okay, but you'll have to push a little and model more complete answers. You won't be the only one!
      ~ Carrie
      Catholic mom to four - ages 11, 9, 7, and 5
      8th year homeschooling, 3rd year MP!
      2020-2021: 6M with FFL, 4M with FFL, and some of 1st grade

Comment

Heather,
        I think the fact that you are asking this question is a sign that your instincts are pushing you in the right direction...and we are just here to confirm that it's a good idea. So...YEP! It's a good idea!

What you are seeing is that the requirements you had for this past year have served her well (because I don't sense any angst in your question), but that it's time to raise the bar and expect more. This is what we have to keep doing all the way through. It's always fine to start at a point that is comfortable for your kids, but it's not fine to leave them there too long...you want to move them out of that comfort zone because that is how they learn and grow. It always causes some growing pains, but it is always worth it in order to make progress. Kudos to you for recognizing the need to up the ante; you're doing great!

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 17
        DD, 15
        DD, 13
        DD, 11
        DD, 9
        DD, 7
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

Thank you for all the tips and encouragement!
          9th year homeschooling, 3rd year with MP
          Girl 6M
          Girl 3M
          Girl MPK
          Girl toddler

Levels we have completed: Preschool, Jr. K, 1, 2, 4NU, 5

Comment

Working...
          X