R&S vs Saxon for 4th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R&S vs Saxon for 4th

This year my husband is pushing me to use as many resources as I can to ease my workload. We are using MP online for Latin and a friend offered me her Saxon Math DVD's to use for my oldest two. Not gonna lie, its very VERY tempting. Math is a weak area for us and I'd feel better knowing that they'd get consistent instruction. My question is, is it worth switching? I'm not very familiar with the methodology and don't want to derail them by switching curriculum. I really trust MP's curriculum so it makes me nervous trying something different.

So for those who have used both, let me know pro's and con's. Basically, talk me in or out of doing it.

Thanks everyone.
    ~Catherine~

DD 9yr (3rd)
    DS 8yr (2nd/3rd)
    DS 6yr (1st)
    DS 4yr
    DD 2yr

I'm guessing we're talking Saxon 5/4 here?

We started with Rod and Staff for three years then switched to Saxon then switched back after a semester. I'm telling you R&S is easier than Saxon. There are new topics every day in Saxon. So...your kids are very dependent on you for instruction. Even with a DVD teacher, I have had to sit with them to make sure they're 'attending', you know what I mean? Youre still grading every day. I didn't feel like Saxon was easier to each. Quite the opposite. Rod and Staff is so repetitive, my kids can get up and start the lesson without me. If they come across a new topic, they skip those problems and continue on. That's not the case with Saxon.

Your kids are already programmed to complete R&S. I say, stick with it. It's not worth switching at this point.

I would only consider switching in your case if you could totally be out....like teaching textbooks. It teaches, it grades, it quizzes and tests. I'm not a fan of TT, so I'm not saying switch to that instead. I'm just saying, switching to Saxon with DVDs....you're still neck-deep in math with grading and what-not.
    Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
    DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
    DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

THANK YOU!!! That was my fear. Exactly what I needed to hear. 💜 I knew someone would have some experience with both to compare for me ☺️
      ~Catherine~

DD 9yr (3rd)
      DS 8yr (2nd/3rd)
      DS 6yr (1st)
      DS 4yr
      DD 2yr

Comment

We do Rod & Staff for grades K-3 and then switch to Saxon 5/4. For me this was a huge must to be able to keep multiple grade levels going. The switch has never been a problem, and we haven’t used DVDs. The Saxon books do a thorough job explaining concepts to the student, and every problem in the Mixed Practice has the number of the lesson where it was originally covered. If something is unclear (almost never happens), I’ll go over it with them. But I am not there explaining the lessons on a daily basis. I correct the work and expect them to go back and figure out why they have missed an answer. You might think that would be frustrating, but that honestly has not been our experience. Some frustration and learning how to dig in and find the answer for yourself can be a good thing. This comes with my usual caveat about not advancing a child into a grade for which they are not truly ready. I would not put a child in Saxon 5/4 if they could not read at a level to work independently.

Blessings,
        Jude
        DD 23 College grad, married, employed.
        DS 20 Autistic, beautiful, unemployable.
        DS 17 HS grad. Twelve years of MP. Hopes to be a chess-playing priest.
        DS 15 Teaching me to give up the reins. Does MP work when not in ballet classes, at rehearsals, stretching or playing chess.
        DD 13 Nine years of MP. Chess player, marksman, WSJ fan.
        DS 11 Six years of MP. Chess player, ballet dancer, archer.
        DD 8 Four years of MP. Chess player, occasional dancer. Actually gets to write in the Student Guides.

Comment

Working...
        X