Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CROWDSOURCING: K-2 implementation

CROWDSOURCING:

As I plan my portion of the the Primary Implementation and Overview Sessions, I want to hear from YOU.

What are the top 5 things you wished you would have known when you started the Memoria Press primary years? (K-2)

(Cross posted ... So you might see this again on FB)
    Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
    DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
    DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
    DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
    DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
    DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

That the average homeschool parent doesn't personally teach their high schooler ALL their classes. I jest, but only slightly. 😅 I was pre-worried for years.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2020-2021
    11th year HSing · 9th year MP
    @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
    11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

That enrichment is worth the investment. Just buy the books. I promise. Your library will drop the ball and disappoint you...and your kids will re-read these books for years.

It's also totally worth it to prep crafts ahead of time. Even just doing a semester ahead is so beneficial! If you wait til the day of, crafts don't get done. No matter how committed you are. And make crafts for everyone under 12, they'll want to do them too.
      Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
      DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
      DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
      Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
      Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Can I take the liberty to adjust your question just a bit, DiannaKennedy?

What are the top five things you are thankful to have known when starting the Memoria Press primary years (K-2)? This may help you get a bit more input.

1) That each year builds on the previous (and towards a desired goal) in a very straightforward, focused and well thought out plan.

2) That there is much help to be had in Memoria Press circles (The Classical Teacher, this forum, HLS, HL cottage schools, MPOA, etc.). You are not alone and only relying on yourself as a homeschooling parent. And what pickandgrin said above.

3) That the small things are very important and not to be overlooked, if at all possible. Pencil grip. Posture. Practice. Repetition. Enrichment. Doing things well. Primary focus on most important.

4) That Memoria Press follows a time honored and time tested tradition and path of classical, Christian education. We stand on the shoulders of many wise men and wise women and the path is well worn. True, mistakes have been made along the way in different ways and at different times but we follow the Lord's calling: "Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls." (Jeremiah 6:16).

Point 5 will have to wait a bit.
        2020/2021 - 3rd MP Year
        S - 6, rising 1st Grader @ home and HLN
        D - 4, rising Junior Kindergartener @ home
        S - 3, the master of disasters

Comment

Beorn Fantastic outlook!
          Jennifer
          Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
          DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
          DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
          DS11: SC 4
          DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
          DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
          DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

Continued from above...

5) That the primary years (K-2) are not a race. It is not all about who gets to the "meatier" years the fastest. In fact, racing like that may be one of the worst things a parent can do for their child. Not to get too theological, but I like to think of education in terms of sanctification as I believe it has many similarities. It is a process. There are ups, there are downs. High peaks and low lows. Sometimes you have to go back and cover ground that has already been covered. It is important to stick to the basics and don't overwhelm one's self or their child. There is an end goal in mind but the paths for each family to get there are different. That said, there are important truths and goals that are always the case no matter the path. And most importantly, "Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth." (John 17:17)

I realize that there are overlaps between these five points but these are the ones that come to mind this fine morning. Plus, you may need to take into account that my brain has been spun around and dropped and bounced in many directions after a full day at an amusement park yesterday trying to keep three littles corraled and alive. Take these points for what they are worth (which may not be much). And thank you, jen1134.
            2020/2021 - 3rd MP Year
            S - 6, rising 1st Grader @ home and HLN
            D - 4, rising Junior Kindergartener @ home
            S - 3, the master of disasters

Comment

Point 5, yes! I have just started over reading aloud to my youngest who is 8 after a drought of busyness and distraction. I forget. I need reminders. The little things ARE the big things.
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

2020-2021
              11th year HSing · 9th year MP
              @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
              11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

1) Before you add more (games, field trips, artsy fun), do everything in the guides first. Each prompt for dictation, copy work, sentence formation, character comparison, poem creation, word problem analysis, math fact memorization, etc has incredible value for the next grade level ahead. Now having taught with eclectic, augmented away Montessori school and used a Charlotte Mason approach, I have been able to see which activities had the greatest payout vs. time spent on the activity. For every game and activity we played, far more was accomplished when we laid a foundation first. This doesn't mean you have to DO everything in the guide, but if you start to add other books, materials, etc, go back and look for activities you didn't get to and finish those out.

2) I feel SO INCREDIBLY SAD when mamas say they could never do the Classical model of teacher-led learning where everything is planned out for you and it favors a limited scope over a broad scope. My experience has shown me that teaching a child to read fluently, have some basic knowledge of the world (math, scientific systems in nature, presidents, money, a handful of historical dates, states & caps, Biblical literacy, and a handiness with Greek/Roman mythology and people) has opened up an entire world to my children. You can't put all of the good stuff first (where it will often be forgotten when a child is just learning to read, write, and formulate thoughts). First comes the foundation, then comes the gravy. I am amazed at what my children ask for in terms of books--much more than MP recommends--and I don't know if it could have been understood had we not started with the basics first.

3) Tears and foot-stomping are pretty normal for all parents, and it's pretty evident when activities are outside of your child's wheelhouse vs. an appropriate challenge. Write down and post high that routine. Point to it. Blame it. Stick to it. Eventually, they stop asking to do something different and enjoy the incredible highs of succeeding after putting in considerable work.

4) It's amazing how much children love to do flashcards. There are many fun ways to mix up flashcard reading, but my favorite is to set a count-up timer and see if we can beat our record. Spreading them out on a long counter or dining table is even better for the MP2ers, where flipping through them is hard to do fast enough. For my little guy, I stand to his left while he's sitting and deal them out in front of him like you would deal playing cards.

5) Try to read ahead a bit in MP grade levels. One of the best pieces of advice from Leigh Lowe was to see where the curriculum is going in terms of archetypes, characters, and thematic elements. When you've identified heroes hidden in youth, the cunning fox, the pride that brings a fall, or the "homecoming" in a character's journey across a wide range of literature, you can more handily identify these elements when you encounter them in the children's literature. You can point out how in a few grade levels ahead, they'll be introduced to another character who struggles with _________. The Enrichment guides will point out the instances for you in whichever grade level you're in, but YOU can use your own knowledge of books and stories you've read outside of class or will read as your child advances through the grades to reinforce the point.
                Mama to 2

Summer:
                MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
                SY 20/21
                4A

Comment

That you don't have to do everything listed in the curriculum guide. Some math worksheets and phonics workbooks are for extra practice as needed, and if your student has a good grasp on the material, they aren't necessary. This is mentioned in the beginning of the curriculum guide, but I definitely skimmed over those sections.

To focus on the 3 R's (reading, writing, and arithmetic) and make sure they get priority every day.

To just go ahead and rearrange/expand our week as needed. I moved Bible stories to Sunday afternoons, and it was wonderful for our family. We were already going to church and talking about God and Bible stories, so it made my life easier. I also moved the weekly music and art selections to Monday. We worked ahead a little bit to make Fridays as light as we could. This might come more naturally to some homeschoolers, but it was difficult for me. I love strict schedules and checklists, so experimenting with shuffling things around was a bit stressful. Looking back, I wish I had done it earlier.

To schedule time for "falling behind." I tend to schedule one week of "vacation" for every 4-5 weeks of school. When we inevitably get a day or two behind, it helps me to remain calm to know that we have time to catch up. Any extra days in that vacation week are a nice break or a chance to get ahead or do a special project.

Comment

I love this thread! Keep them coming!

Comment

I've been assessing our school year as I prep for next year (& after having received our IOWA basic test scores). For my incoming 2nd grader, here's what I wish I had done differently last year:

1. I needed to focus more on math. My daughter is very independent and she would often do her math lesson before I had even made it into the schoolroom. Rather than doing the lesson outlined in the teacher's manual, I would let it go at that. She needs more one-on-one time with me to focus on math facts and computation. I think it's easy to see the R&S workbooks as self-contained and dismiss the teacher's manual as more for a classroom setting. Also, we did not do the math enrichment in the back of the CM and I am remedying that for next year.

2. I really struggled to incorporate the music enrichment each week, and sometimes we didn't do the history and science enrichment. I need a plan for including those in our week. She loved (and memorized on her own) all the art cards. We managed to do the craft every week by having a specified day/time for that and because I had prepped all the crafts in the summer. Some summer prep for the other enrichment components would probably be helpful.

3. We need to work on completing work with care, rather than just completing it. Especially with handwriting, my daughter would often rush and the outcome was sloppy. Because the copybook and cursive books felt more like "independent work," she would do them while I was working with someone else.

4. This leads to an issue that I think many struggle with when you're working with multiple ages/grades. I tended to focus more on my oldest (5th grader) and my youngest (3 year old), leaving my primary age student on her own more than I would like. I see so many parents asking how quickly they can get through the work each day and how much can be done independently. The truth is, very little can be done quickly and independently in the primary years. The necessity of being "at elbow" with your younger students can be such a challenge when you have youngers who demand attention and olders who also need mom.

5. There may be a 5th point, but I'm currently sitting in the OB's office halfway through a 3-hour glucose test, so between the lack of food and the blood draws, I'm a little fuzzy right now
                      2019-20 First Year with Memoria Press!

DS10, MP Core Grade 5
                      DD6, MP Core Grade 1
                      DD3, MP Preschool

Comment

Not sure if this exactly fits the question, but I would love to see this plastered on the MP website homepage and in every catalog. “Education is a journey, not a race.” Do not move your child up into a level for which they are not fully ready. It is not a simple matter of “she can write her name” or “he reads at a second grade level.” They must read and comprehend and write at that level. They must have the stamina to work through all of the subjects assigned without feeling like they are drowning in work. They must have the maturity to make the connections with some guidance (which is not the same as having the connections made for them).
                        I have seen too many parents rush their child ahead by telling themselves that they were “modeling” the answers, when in reality the child was not producing answers on their own. Another common mistake is allowing a sizable amount of the curriculum to be done orally. This is denying your child the benefits of the retention that happens when something is written down. It’s true that we should work the curriculum and not let the curriculum work us. But in a push to be at or above the level of peers or siblings much is lost. Never be afraid to slow down, remediate, and allow your child to mature.

Blessings,
                        Jude
                        DD 23 College grad, married, employed.
                        DS 20 Autistic, beautiful, unemployable.
                        DS 17 HS grad. Twelve years of MP. Hopes to be a chess-playing priest.
                        DS 15 Teaching me to give up the reins. Does MP work when not in ballet classes, at rehearsals, stretching or playing chess.
                        DD 13 Nine years of MP. Chess player, marksman, WSJ fan.
                        DS 11 Six years of MP. Chess player, ballet dancer, archer.
                        DD 8 Four years of MP. Chess player, occasional dancer. Actually gets to write in the Student Guides.

Comment

Working...
                        X